'16 60hp Mercury- Probably Hydrolocked

agks22

Recruit
Hey all- I have been extensively looking around for an answer about what might have happened to my boat today but am getting a bunch of different answers. Wanted to start a thread to be more specific.

I went out solo today to do some fishing on my 17' mako with a 60 ELI merc (in saltwater). I was driving to some spots (roughly 30 mins) and while on plane, the motor died. I trimmed up and water seemed to be coming out of the cowl, which I was really worried about. I tasted it to make sure and it was just hot saltwater. I thought maybe my transducer mount might have sprayed water into the motor... but after getting towed back to dock, on further inspection I noticed the telltale hose ruptured. It was twisted around which probably happened when flushing the motor last time while screwing the hose on. And it ruptured on my ride, filling the cowl up, which eventually sucked into the intake.

So my question is: I know it's probably hydrolocked. How bad could the damage be? I'm not great with boat motors but I know connecting rods can be bent on normal cars.... and considering I was WOT, I'm thinking worse case. I tried cranking a few times on the water before I found out what happened... Nothing happened, just saw the starter move and it didn't turn.

It's still under warranty (not even a year old) and gets used at least once a week. My concern is the warranty claim will be denied due to the twisted hose from flushing.

Anything happen like this to anyone else? Do these grommets go bad sometimes, causing the connector to spin? The freaking motor is new and I have the dealer do all the work, and I flush/clean after each run. Not really up to dropping another 6k on this motor after a few months use.

And the worst freaking part.... I didn't even get to fish today...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Take it to the dealer and see what they say? Since it was not touched by you I would expect it to be a warranty issue.

agks22

Recruit
I did, but since I connected the hose and turned the telltale line, they might say I did that. But for hydrolocked motors, is there a better outcome than total replacement? The thing that concerns me is going WOT might have done a lot more damage.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
The damage is done the motor needed to be started right away after that happend. If it was a 4 strk an oil change an filter then start it.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The flushing hose shouldn't twist and it definitely shouldn't rupture. Warranty fix at the dealer.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Whatever you do it needs to be done ASAP or the motor will be junk no matter why it happened. If you leave the saltwater in it for even a short period of time it will be a worthless pile of scrape metal.

agks22

Recruit
Thanks all for posting. Pretty sure it's toast since the dealer will sit on it for at least a week but hopefully i'll get a new motor. This is obviously the worse case but we'll see. Been at poker all night and won enough that today doesn't feel like a complete loss. Thanks all

agks22

Recruit
Sorry to bring this thread up from the grave, but I came across my old post from years ago searching for something else and thought I would say what actually happened if anyone else is in a similar situation.

Conclusion: I was correct, telltale ruptured and got salt water pretty much everywhere. Powerhead was toast and replaced. Merc honored the warranty. Dealer said I was lucky, and they most likely would not have replaced the powerhead if it were over a year old (or merc stock was down, take that with a grain of salt).

I never used the flush port again. Ear muffs from then on and still running strong (over 300hrs now in '19).

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Goodonya fer coming back and saying what happened/ how it ended up warranty wise,

Happy days

wish that was me though...

now go fishing but in a different spot,