Mercury Bluewater cooling issues

maxmanta

Recruit
Hi, all......

After a few trouble-free trips up and down the Connecticut river, my Mercury Bluewater 175 has developed some heating/cooling issues that I hope have an easy (ahem...cheap) fix.

When run (after three weeks idle) it wouldn't squirt water through the tell-tale (or pee hole or whatever), but alot of water came through the exhaust port just under the powerhead (this was with the engine in the water). Later, after cleaning the pee-hole with a wire, it squirted water through it, but the engine became very hot, very quickly (this was on land with a hose and cups attached). Normally, it runs pretty cool. Also, the pee-stream was very steady. Normally, it stops and goes as the thermostat opens and closes. I don't know if this is because of a bad tstat or is the motor is running hot for some reason. This was with the engine at or a little above idle.

Water in the CT river is very silty and I'm thinking the cooling system and thermostat became clogged. I bought the boat last spring and I'm not sure when the impeller was changed last. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Change the impeller. It's a cheap piece of rubber and silt/sand can cause it to wear. You don't know how old it is, so it should be changed. Check the pump cup and wear plate for scoring.

Do you flush after using the boat in the river? Might be a good idea to flush the silt out.