Relays - Don't jump to conclusions!

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice
Last summer, my 1997 Mercury 115 2 stroke did something nasty to me. We were out for a picnic. As the tide was running out, I started the engine to head home. But there was no way to lower the engine. The tilt switch appeared to be dead on "down", and actually worked only on "Up". I mooched a tow from another boater and took a closer look at my engine the following day. I suspected a faulty trim relay, but dropped the idea after noting that both the Up and Down relays gave a healthy click. And that's where I started jumping to the wrong conclusions. I pulled to boat out of the water (and spoiled the end of my vacation), and did something stupid. I opened the trim motor, suspecting a faulty carbon brush. Nothing wrong there, Absolutely clean and dry. This was begging for disaster because the trim motor has tiny O-rings and they are best left undisturbed for a lifetime (fortunately, I can confirm, now that the boat has been back in the water for more than a month,, that I had successfully managed to close the unit without causing any leak). So I changed the two relays, regardless of their healthy clicking... and everything works fine again. What happens is that a relay can have a perfectly good solenoid, but fowled power contacts. The strong current required by the trim motor just can't get through the messy copper contacts. Cost of repair: about $20 per relay...

Faulty conclusion N?2. Before dropping my boat in the water at the start of this season, I hooked up the muffs in my backyard, fueled the tank and everything started beautifully. When I actually got to the yard to lower the boat, the starter failed on me. Click click, but no starter engagement. I opened the cowl, touched the starter solenoid, which sounded great when turning the key, but nothing more. In my head, I was already thinking that my starter motor may have given up on me, when one of the local mechanics at the yard happened to pass by. This guy made a 100% correct diagnosis in about three seconds. He told me that the starter relay had called it a day, and proved it by jabbing a large screwdriver between its two powerline poles. The engine immediately started, and all I had to do was buy a new starter relay (about 50 bucks) which was easy to install, even on water.

The lesson is: a relay, large or small, may be shot even if it gives a healthy clicking sound. The problem is that the inner contacts can foul up over a period of time, and actually insulate any passage of high-ampere current.

I hope my little adventures may help others to make the lower-cost, lower-trouble diagnostic before attempting repairs on things that ain't broken!

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
IF I may add a few comments.

These Relays can be confusing to diagnose due to the way they are wired. In quick summary,at least on my 1996 60 hp, the circuit wraps through BOTH relays. This I assume was to be sure that it can go up OR down - but NOT both. Therefore, changing both was a great call. It could be that the bad relay could have been the other relay (i.e. Down not working because up relay is bad). Before I bought my boat from my Neighbor he had the same problem as the OP - and even the Dealer incorrectly changed the tilt motor/pump. I found the relay problem after a year of intermittent tilt issues.

As Far as the root cause on the relays - I used to repair the old style relay pinball machines, The relays must be correctly adjusted to open, close and slightly "over wipe" to ensure self cleaning contacts.. Also, I've seen the riveted contacts on the blades loosen slightly and spin on the blades - inviting arcing between the contact points and the blades - causing intermittent open circuits.

Finally, check your manual as I seem to remember that there is a "bypass" screw on the piston to allow you to manually drop the motor if needed.

Congrats on the fix!

ticondo46

Seaman Apprentice
You are absolutely right regarding the apparently unorthodox wiring hookup of the relays. This was confirmed to me by the Mercury dealer since.
Regarding the bypass screw at the bottom of the trim unit, the thought had crossed my mind, but 1. I didn't have a large flat screwdriver on board, and 2. I would have hesitated anyway to proceed in this manner because I wasn't sure that salt water wouldn't penetrate the unit when loosening the bypass screw. Add to that the fact that I had two small kids on board, and a near-hysterical wife, and you will fully understand that the towing option was the best! Since then, I spoke to a competent mechanic at the yard, who confirmed that they do it all the time. Unless you fully unscrew the bypass (a stupid thing to do), the O-rings won't let water go by. I'll remember that next time!