1978 1150 - What is this Part / Part #

spitfireap

Cadet
I had to replace the original internal engine wiring harness with a CDI unit (# 414-2770) on my 1978 1150 (Ser# 5051056) due to corroded wires. I had to replace the stator as well for the same reason. There's a small green part with 2 wires coming out of it that I should probably replace due to corrosion, but I don't know what it is. Any wiring diagrams I have found for this part merely label it Mercury Switch. I've attached a picture with it circled. What is it and what does it do? Anyone have a part # (it doesn't have any numbers on it)? Can I just wrap the wires in heat shrink and leave it?

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
The mercury switches kind of look like condensers. They are usually blue plastic, with two wires. It's function is to kill the ignition, if the motor kicks up

It is not very important, IMO

spitfireap

Cadet
Thank you Chris, I hadn't heard about such a part. On mine it's green with two wires coming out of it. I can't upload an image so you can see it through the link below to my Microsoft Onedrive account. You can see the corrosion. Is this what Chris was talking about? Anyone have a part #?

spitfireap

Cadet
Ok, looks like I'll skip it for that amount if it's just there in case of emergency. I'll just heat shrink the current wires.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is another safety switch in the control box called the "neutral/start, Interlock" switch. Looks about the same as a condenser, also. That is on a 76 thru 78 500, anyway.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, the neutral interlock switch is square with a nylon roller, at least on my '77 1500 MerControl.