2001 Mercury 125 2+2 Gremlin

TrophyNace

Cadet
Guys,

Have an ongoing issue that I have been chasing now with my 125 salty and could use your input. During vacation my engine started cutting out/losing power after a day's use. Each time it would happen at full acceleration and then gradually come down to about 2500 rpm and would not go any higher. I would typically encounter this after a 1/2 day of perfect running. During this time it would still troll and run great at lower rpm (thankfully never stopped running) but would not go any higher or take any extra throttle.

Had my fuel pump and carbs rebuilt along with a new fuel filter (replaced in-line only, has a water separator too) as it definitely felt like it was a fuel delivery problem. After running great for some time, I experienced the same problem and chased it the rest of my time on vacation. I took it to a marina and they replaced my plugs and could not find anything wrong with it as they test drove it multiple times and could not replicate the issue. The boat did sit a little while from the time I experienced the issue on the water from when the marina serviced it.

This weekend I pulled the sending unit out on the fuel tank and scoped the tank for debris thinking it could be something getting sucked up, clogged, and settling after use. Everything looked clean. Took the boat out and fished almost all day. Pulled hard and ran on plan for the first hour and then I was mostly trolling and fishing in no wake-zones for the majority of the time. At the end of the day I took it out and wanted to try it again at full power only to experience the same issue. Got on plan -full power at around 5-5200 rpm for about 15 secs than fell flat on its face...power came gradually down to 2500 and would not climb any more. Limped back to the dock and now back to square 1. During this time I had my dad squeeze the ball as I was trying to power up but it only sputtered a couple times like it was trying to open up the additional (2) carbs but did not. I was told my engine does not have a fail-safe mode but it sure acts like it during this time.

Compression is around 130 on all 4 cylinders and the spark is good. Can I be experiencing some type of vapor lock on the boat? My next thought is to replace the bulb, fuel lines, and water/fuel filter separator. Other than that I am out of options. This engine is on a 2001 Trophy dual console 1900fc. Any suggestions? Your time and comments are greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

TrophyNace

Cadet
Thanks for the input Flyingscott. So reversing polarity on a battery could have been the culprit? I witnessed the prior owner do this the day I bought the boat as he was swapping batteries but dismissed it since the boat ran so good that day. It definitely is charging and checked the (2) yellow wires coming off it already. Does this have some sort of rev limiter that could be the culprit. I assume as the stator heats up the resistance does as well?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Those motors have been known to have stator reliability issues. I believe yours has high speed windings those could be failing. www.cdielectronics.com has a troubleshooting guides for ignitions.