'89 Mariner 200hp low voltage and alarm issues

tristanlee85

Seaman Apprentice
I wish I could find a wiring diagram on this module. It would help things make a little more sense. I'm sure you are aware of the wires, but I put this together for my own visualization.

hMfbSCyPoVP862qwNsQiK3GcWeDYGL1IBOrCo6RIYNuNxW46xTNrpLK9AlsvDVj2IkAc6mogQlfdha0VGNMXHiNyKWxs7EQxyjN_Dgj_gcfnwBkidCCbiKRWfw4Al2eXbNUzyY-yNrOjTgBK4OCOFfKAyRpb12bsP20tlXF0SaV4-ASqTar-yZASsSex_1K3wLpMffuPMJ86J_kWwxkWxBmgeRDIHrNrqbGpW1ZOaOTuWCvtvri45j-eaKIQkPTkXRvex26liuKItsJPwiwHosBeiUj72VtAw7WI6qziWfCq8E6jOqdFwToIjSv3FY1G4r45wL10IUeSwbacXhjaKfacmRaDjk5cjRCXMnewLKGNhCqt4z5AjKBP5dDT9I_yyH1bzt_kaHiDZi1RX2Mb47_RxoUHbf6ogrsB1ykaRYMolYDHTDHzkRLCM5FmMSZ_iNYw_QZBYyVOspVkdxEN_BQ2VLQZvy26YB46Kfl6KlM8Nn2bfANVfu-9CSgWUjJYKBjueHwmkS_ivEHogDEdkSzxFZYKxkSqSYFCRT7xYVcKRwFK5tsC-Qlpl69Vx1e4PJsbxRPDfQ37Szi0C2DDkgMkKYWqtlOhYFTcvS08B-hjz_ae5rPGaI6O6FpkQdoJgJO7zUhkROIk9JHp8u36N62g4tHVxHc6OaH3=w720-h959-no

My assumption is that the purple wire coming from the module > terminal > harness is what feeds the "beep" signal to the alarm. Maybe this is the oil-only signal?

What confuses me is why the tan from the sender goes to the module but also to the harness at the same time. I guess I am not understanding the purpose of these 2 wires (tan and purple) that both make their way into the harness and what I assume to the control box.

I would think that there would only be one signal output wire that triggers the alarm - whether it be the self-check beeps, overheat beep, or low oil beep. To me, the purple wire would handle all of this. Maybe that's where I am wrong. I'm not convinced enough yet that the module is bad since both my old one plus this used one I just purchased behave exactly the same. I suppose it could be bad too, but seeing as how the results are identical, I feel my issue lies outside of this module somewhere.

tristanlee85

Seaman Apprentice
My goal is to at least get the self-test beeps to occur. I thought that disconnecting the temp sensor and the oil level sender would make it think everything is "ok" and therefore give me the self-test beeps. I can't get that to occur. It's immediately a solid beep with key on.

tristanlee85

Seaman Apprentice
mercuryOilInjection.png

Ok this is making more sense now. Purple is not a signal wire. It's the 12v power to the module. I am not sure exactly the purpose of the green wire, but I don't believe it is related. Based on what you have told me so far, what I have read here (http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/mercuryOilInjection.html) and the troubleshooting guide here (https://www.justanswer.com/uploads/Mechman45/2009-07-07_112232_115WarnTroubShoot.JPG), it sounds like I lucked out and got another bummed module. Here's to hoping I can get a refund on that and put it toward a brand new one (fingers crossed).

Dukedog

Captain
tha green is "part" of rotation sensor.. it correlates pulse/firing of that cylinder in relation to rotation of pump through that magnet on top of tha pump....

​and yeah, module is bad anytime you can disconnect either tan/blue or purple of tha module and continuous noise goes away......

​also keep in mind tha "over heat" sensor/alarm and oilier sensor/module/alarm are completely separate circuits even though they "share" tha same buzzer..

Last edited:

Dukedog

Captain
its an isolated plastic term block..... its by tha book.. if it wasn't those purples would be smoked when ya turn tha key on....

tristanlee85

Seaman Apprentice
I am so sorry this part did not work. But they can not be tested and that is why we guarantee it to be good. I do have another one and I will get it in the mail today.

Fingers crossed the next one I receive works!

tristanlee85

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you all so much for the help. The replacement of the replacement oil module came in the mail today and I plugged it in, turned the key forward, and got the self check beeps. It's been a long time since I've heard those bad boys. My original module, when working, was "beeeeeep beep beep" where as the new one seems to be "beeeeeep beep beep beep". So one additional short beep, but I don't think that is an issue. Could have been a change between the years. Anyway, I am happy to finally have batteries that get charged and a module that knows when to shut up. :)