1989 Mercury 115 HP Flywheel Magnets

MiBad

Cadet
Does anyone know how critical the spacing of the magnets in the flywheel are? I purchased a flywheel for my 115 HP that had the same part # stamped on it that originally came from a 60 HP. As it turns out the crank hole is too small. I'd like to transfer the 6 magnets from the 60HP flywheel to the 115 HP flywheel. It looks like the gap between the magnets on the 60HP are not consistent (I don't have exact measurement yet) and I don't know if this is intentional for indexing purposes or not. Only one of the magnets remains on my 115 HP flywheel - I could see the outline of where the other magnets were but I'd like to see how precise I would have to be when re-attaching the magnets. Thanks

MiBad

Cadet
Since I had the flywheel in hand, I came up with the idea of swapping the magnets to my original flywheel. I might have continued with this endeavor but it looks like it would be a PITA if not impossible to remove the magnets without doing some damage to them. I experimented with my bad flywheel trying to loosen the last remaining magnet with acetone and later freezing it. Neither worked; part of the problem could be that the magnets are resting on a small lip that circles the inner flywheel and limits downward movement when the magnet is struck (if that makes sense). I would have tried heat but that is supposed lessen the magnetic strength of the magnet. The part number for my flywheel has been replaced several times, but I was able to find a NOS flywheel using one of the previous part numbers, so I ordered that one. I don't think I would hesitate reattaching a magnet or two to a flywheel using a good epoxy if the magnets were not damaged, but moving from one to another could be impractical.