1982 70 hp mercury fuel pump check valve replacement

nydon

Recruit
decided to replace fuel pump check valves, purchased a kit that in addition to new check valves contained new check valve mounts ( filler block, spring and plastic cap) to replace original cage assembly. But in order for this kit to work my engine needs a transfer port cover with a raised casted pad, my cover does not have this nor can I find this part listed anywhere ( 99523a1). I'm wondering if anyone knows if I can just use the check valves that came with this kit with the original cage and forego the other parts? The kit I bought is merc part #21-13424a 1. I tryed to post a photo but that failed, so hope someone has been through this and can offer some advice.

Thanks,
Don

Last edited:

DeepCMark58A

Commander
Compare the replacement check valves to the existing check valves if they are the same size they will work with the existing cage.

nydon

Recruit
Thank you, (deepCMark58A) for the response. Initial measurement appeared that they are close to the same size an will fit into the slots. The original checks are still working; I was changing the diaphragms and since the check valves are original since 1982 I decided to change them as well, ended up putting old ones back in till I figure out what I need to do. I'll pull it apart again after this trip and do a better inspection to see if they are the same for sure. The instructions with the new check valves point out that one is marked Red and has to be put in a certain slot, but the ones that came in this kit appear to be the same color but I see that one of them has a small notch in the seat area of the the valve disc, so I'll pay attention to that when I take it apart again. Do you happen to know what purpose that spring and cap serve? The new check valves are held in place by the filler block and two screws, and the spring & cap are just pushing up against the back of the block, so why the spring & cap?
Don

DeepCMark58A

Commander
No idea but as I learned from experience use only genuine mercury parts, the quality is better and you know the parts will fit.

nydon

Recruit
Parts are mercury & purchased from a local merc dealer. unfortunately I found out after the fact ( from internet) that this kit has been replaced by a newer version, but its still a kit for my engine, but I opened the package so its not returnable. This dealer, whom I've only made two purchases from in 30 years acts like he hates people and is of little help with information even for basic questions about items he sells. So I'm stuck trying to figure it out on my own and also with help from you guys on the forum. Nearest other dealer is 50 miles away and I wish I made the drive--

Don

Last edited: