1982 Mercury Black Max 150 or 200?

outtatime-xx

Recruit
Hi all, I am new here, and am amazed at how much information is here! Have already learned a lot! I have recently acquired a Mercury Black Max motor. I have researched and found it to be a 1982 model. Here is the problem, I think someone may have changed the cowls and supports to read 150. Guy I got it from didn't know for sure, but suspected as much. Bottom line, I need to know for sure to order parts. Serial no. on support is 6158061. Also found stamped nos. on front of engine block, they are 42782 and 20281. Can someone please help? Thanks for your time!

Dukedog

Captain
does tha cowl use a "single" plastic, interlocking latch (200) or two spring loaded "barrel nut" (150/175) type?

outtatime-xx

Recruit
Hi, and thanks for the reply. Cowl latch on starboard side is broken and missing, but port side has what appears to be a flat plastic piece with recessed vertical grooves which, I guess could lace with a corresponding grooved piece. There is no barrel nut configuration. By the way, starter is an Arco part # 5381X. Engine has not run for 3 yrs., no fire to plugs, and I really need to know what I have before I go any further. Thanks again!

Dukedog

Captain
2.4 200.... fire can be several different things.. almost all of tha "electrical" will work with any V6 150 ta 200 up to '89.. then there are some changes in chargin' systems from 9/16 amp to 40 amp.. yours is gonna be 16 amp stuff.

one more thing.. does it have tha air box on tha carbs?.. if so, does it have tha "pipe organ" lookin' pipes on each side?

outtatime-xx

Recruit
Yes on the organ pipes. Any idea where to look for a latch for starboard cowl? Got a Seloc book and some other diagnostic info. Will let u know how it comes out! Thanks a million!

Dukedog

Captain
latch will be hard... watch ebay, high performance boating sites etc.... don't put much faith in tha after market manuals.. pm me an email addy and i'll send ya a coupla manuals in pdf.. for later motors but all diagnostics, settings, linkage adjustments are same or close enough ta use....

Dukedog

Captain
wouldn't let me send to your email.. said file was to big even when i tried one at a time......