Mercury 60 hp 4 stroke efi Idle on land

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 60 hp 4 stroke efi engine on my boat (2006 ish) The boat sat for 2 years, so I evacuated all the gas, changed the fuel/water separator, changed the fuel filter, changed the gear oil, changed the oil and filter.
I started up the unit with the hose attachement and ran it for a little while. It seems to be running normal. I had a few times when I started it, it would sputter than shut off, but the next time I started it, it would run fine. Question is, to avoid getting stranded, is it possible for me to turn on the engine, with the hose attachment, and let it run for say 30 minutes to make sure it doesn't overheat or stall?

I guess I could take it to the boat launch and let it sit with outboard in the water and run it for 30 minutes but I do not know if that would be possible at this time.
Thank you in advance.

74bayliner

Chief Petty Officer
So i changed the fuel filter & water separator, it turns out my coils all went bad, at first two of them went out, i replaced those two than a third went out. I think its because i did not change the spark plugs during my servicing. But i put in new ones, replaced the last two coils, (so now all 4 coils new) and the boat has been running every single time i take it out like a champ. Hours at a time trolling in salt water, or zipping up and down the river. Thanks for your help everyone.