1979 Mercury 150hp steering cable nut thread size

tawas23

Cadet
Was going to order a new steering cable for my older bass boat and decided to get a newer steering system but I cant find anywhere the kit comes with cable but I need to know the thread size on the steering cable to the motor and getting different answers alot say there the same on most motors but no one knows the actual thread size and pitch can I get help with this so I order the correct cable kit says M66 but not sure if thats what mine is help plz 1979 Mercury 150hp steering cable nut size ????

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
A standard steering cable from Teleflex will fit your motor. Merc (and Johnnyrude) has a single nut size on their larger motors. If the OEM of the steering system is asking you for nut size, find another OEM.

tawas23

Cadet
That problem is they don't make this cable anymore otherwise I would I wish it was that simple the kit says M66 but thought I could get this confirmed on here hoping anyways

tawas23

Cadet
Maybe this question might be easier i am going to buy the UFLEX rotory steering system for my Mercury 150hp will this kit come with everything I need to install like some kinda of steering Cable that I can use on my outboard motor regardless of my motor type

tawas23

Cadet
OK just talk to UFLEX tech support and said industry standard is 7/8 x 14 NPT on tile tube on most outboards and all kits come with this size on cable using a brass nut not aluminum hope this help who ever needs to know