Mercury 200 hp not charging

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I got this motor about a year and a half ago. It's a 1993 Mercury 200 hp outboard S/N OD22661. I've suspected that the motor wasn't charging so today after charging the batteries I put a voltmeter on the starting battery and with the motor running I'm only getting 12.5 volts at the terminals. I had the battery charged to 12.8. I started looking at the voltage regulators and the wiring and found that the 2 yellow wires coming off of the top regulator were fused together at the pig tail connectors and shorted together. I separated them but the clear plastic had been melted through. Now I'm wondering if I not only fried the 2 voltage regulators but also the stator. Thanks in advance for your help.

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok... did some more diagnosis... since the output voltage was not there manual says to do a stator coil test. Took the 2 yellow stator wires and measured resistance. Supposed to be between .25 and .45 ohms... measured .02 ohms on both the long 2 yellow wires and short yellow wires. Does this mean the stator is bad? I have ordered a couple of new regulators.. just wondering if I tested the stator correctly before ordering one.

sam am I

Commander
It could be but, sometimes due to meter limitations and as low of resistance as the windings are, wire temp etc, it's tough to tell. If you're able to truly and accurately measure down to 0.02 then I suppose it could be shorted. Probably easiest way to tell at this point is hook up known good reg's and fire it up. Shorted charge windings won't hurt your new reg's, you'll just not have any output voltage.........However,

As a test and if you don't have your reg's yet, you could fired it up with the yellow wires loaded down with a spare car's headlight for example. Don't get crazy but, quickly bump rev it to say 3'ish K, the light should go from a dimmer light at an idle, think the stator output 11-12'ish volts at an idle and brighten up with perhaps 20'ish volts up in the 4K, 5K range.

You can also open circuit (nothing connect to the yellow wires) check the yellow wires AC output while the engine is running, it doesn't hurt the charge windings or cross couple effect over into the other windings (trigger and such) one bit to run the yellow wires open ended.

Given stator windings are just a perm mag driven coils inducing a potential difference and can run un-loaded, do realize that however running un-loaded doesn't tell you with much accuracy much about any given supply voltage at particular currents per-se. Just a quick and dirty way that tells you you have at least building and collapsing mag fields flying by some amount coil turns (not shorted) of wire creating an induced voltage. You'll use your AC setting of you meter of course

Last edited:

ctak

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the advice... I did some more digging and when I measured the voltage I had the 2nd regulator still hooked up... so I unbolted the plate over the 2 regulators and unplugged the 2 yellow wires from the 2nd regulator and measured the resistance. You are right my ohm meter is pretty sketchy down that low. I did put the meter to AC and hit the starter and it was reading around 4 volts.. so maybe the stator is still OK. Anyway I've got 2 regulators coming and will put them in and cross my fingers. Thanks for the input...