90 hp Force (Mercury) no reverse after installing lower unit?

exp2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I just changed the impeller, put the lower unit back up, and now I have no reverse. I can change from forward to neutral, but when I put it in reverse, it is again in forward? When I was putting lower unit back up it stopped about 1 inch before, and had some resistance, I slightly tightened the nuts and heard click and then unit went in without resistance. I did not apply much pressure. Is this the case that lower unit is stuck in no mans land or in wrong gear?

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
I would put it in forward gear, pull the lower unit and try again. Make sure lower is also in forward gear when you try again. If you are putting the lower back on, and it stops a little short, like it did before, gently turn the prop until it slides up in without an issue. That should help the gears line up.

exp2000

Petty Officer 2nd Class
To put lower in forward gear, I need to turn gear shaft CCW I guess. How do I know it is in forward gear? As far as prop goes, does it matter which direction I turn it?

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
If its in forward gear--and is a standard right hand rotation motor--the prop will not spin CCW (when standing behind boat looking at motor), and should spin CW with a possible click, click, click from clutch teeth. When sliding lower back up into motor, and both in forward gear, turn the prop CCW just a touch to get splines to line up. Also make sure you grease splines on drive shaft.

The other option is to have someone slowly turn the flywheel while you push lower up into motor. But if you are solo, like I am most times, turning prop CCW a touch should help things line up!