1951 Mercury Super 10 Hurricane: Good DIY motor???

wzroberts

Recruit
Hi all,

I'm the proud owner of a vintage 14ft DuraCraft- my restoration project for the upcoming winter. I have started looking for a 50's outboard motor in the 10-20hp range to pair with it, thinking I would probably find a late 50's 18hp Evinrude/Johnson. I haven't found one locally, but I have found a couple of Mercury Super 10 Hurricanes. I know these are respected motors that out-perform their labeled horsepower, and I think they would be a great match for my boat. Before I buy them, I want to ask three basic questions...

What's a fair price for a 1951 Super 10 Hurricane in "ran great when parked 30 years ago, good compression" condition? Does these models have any particular weaknesses I should watch out for?
How "shade tree mechanic" friendly are these? What special tools will I need for basic restoration and upkeep?

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
See if you have a source for parts before buying them, lots of parts available for OMC motors, typically hard to find them for most others.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
coils and lower unit seals and the cost of parts in general

I just sold a pair of mid 50's mercury outboards to a collector. these motors did run 20 years ago because they were owned by my dad. $100 each is what I got. the collector is a canadian snow bird that has a place down here in florida.

the parts alone to update the motor to keep it running exceed the value of the motor

just out of curiosity, why do you want to run a 70 year old motor? if its for a vintage restoration, i get that, however that is the pricey way to go boating.

Chigwalla

Petty Officer 2nd Class
just out of curiosity, why do you want to run a 70 year old motor? if its for a vintage restoration, i get that, however that is the pricey way to go boating.

What Scott said.

If this is going to see regular use, throw on a 4S. I have a similar project on the go, though mine is from around 1960 or so.
It'll be a bit like a classic car: take it out for a couple hours on a Sunday afternoon...in fresh water only...when conditions are perfect...
But for me the pleasure is as much in the resto as in the running.

Old boats & engines are never a way to save money in boating.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Go for it! I love the green tanker Mercs. Expect to spend some money on ignition bits, a simple carb kit, water pump impeller. Lower unit seals my not be needed off the bat - those motors used grease, not oil, so they're a little more forgiving if there's water intrusion. One thing to look for - they came with one of two ignition systems. The Bendix-Scintilla magneto had a bakelite cover and a rotor on the crankshaft. They worked okay, but can be pricey to acquire replacement coils and points are no longer available new (unless you stumble into some NOS stock). The other mag was the Phelon, which is a much more robust ignition system. Coils are still available, as are points and condensers. I've actually begun using OMC condensers in both mags, as I have a supply of them on hand. Motors don't seem to mind, just takes some re-arranging to mount them securely. The Phelon condensers tended to be the weak point anyway, so the OMCs are an upgrade.

I just finished a tune-up on a KF7 and it turned out well. Rebuilding a Mark 20 now. The KF7 actually had good coils in it. In general, if they're not cracked, there's a good chance they're okay.

Good running KG7s can be well worth putting the money and time into them. They're kind of like the '57 Chevies of the outboard world, and are fairly well sought after. If you can get yours for $200-$300 and put another $200-$300 into it in parts, you won't get too beat up if you ever decide to sell it. My own KG7 is a great runner - starts on one or two pulls, runs STRONG, and actually idles pretty well.

wzroberts

Recruit
Good words, everyone, and I appreciate them.

Chigwalla, sounds like you and I have similar projects in mind. I want to pair the boat with a contemporary motor for aesthetics's sake, and because this rig will remind me of fishing trips long past and people long past. I'll use it about a dozen times a year and lightly at that.

Chinewalker, your post is a treasure trove of good information. I'm planning to look at one of the motors on Friday. If I like what I see, it's probably coming home with me.