1983 Mercury 200hp 2.4 Motor Power Issue

reelpatriot22

Recruit
Serial #06392841

I had an issue previouslybecause 3 of my cylinders on one bank were not getting spark. I did all the CDI diagnostics and had decided that it was the stator. I replaced the stator and decided to switch out the trigger also (with CDI parts).

I had purchased the 9amp stator, because I believed the stator on my boat was a 16amp. My research showed that it should have had a 9amp since the motor only had a rectifier and no voltage regulator.

Pulled the flywheel, installed the stator and trigger. Still no spark on that one bank. Performed the CDI tests again with the new stator and trigger and found one of the switchboxes to be bad (which had not shown previously- believe the trigger was bad initially and it was masking this issue.) Purchased new CDI switchboxes on Ebay (which is what the seller stated they are) but they were NOT CDI. Installed them anyway and performed spark test. Spark test was positive now on all 6 cylinders.

Started the boat up on rabbit ears and it idled great on the hose. Put it in the water and it was a slug- no bottom end torque and at full throttle couldn't move the boat any more than 5-8 mph. Before all this my boat was 75mph with GREAT hole shot!

Not sure if it's from going from a 16amp to a 9 amp stator or if these switchboxes could be bad. Is there a difference between the way a 9amp vs a 16amp runs the ignition system? Or is it just a difference in the battery charging? In the book, it says 9 amp stator ONLY if you only have a rectifier and no voltage regulator. When I performed the spark test, it seemed like the spark was stronger than ever after the new stator, trigger, and switchboxes, but no power in the water.

Any help/ideas would be very appreciated! Sorry for the lengthy post, but tried to get all the information of what I had done to be clear where I'm at.