2001 Mercury 90 hp 2 stroke timing question

brianyo

Cadet
So I went out and got a timing light and did a link and sync on this engine per the manual specs which was 5 degrees btdc. Went out on the water and tuned the carbs and got the engine running/idling nicely. The other day I took the cowl off and noticed that on the side of the engine it says that idle should be set to 2 degrees btdc, and then again it says on the air filter cover it says that idle ranges from 6 btdc-2 atdc. I was going to attempt to retune the engine to 2 btdc, but when I started to unscrew the idle timing screw on the side, the engine cut out. I was wondering if anyone has any knowledge on if leaving the timing at 5 btdc would cause engine damage (thing i'm trying to prevent), or if I should just redo the timing and go with the mercury spec on the side of the engine. Thanks!

racerone

Supreme Mariner
A most confusing thing to a novice !-----Idle timing is the point where throttle opens.----It is not something you set like on " granpa's " chevy 283 small block.

brianyo

Cadet
I think I get it. So to my understanding, when the throttle handle is completly in neutral the engine should be at 5 btdc and then when the throttle is moved just the smallest bit forward to the point where the throttle opens is the 2 btdc? Thanks for the quick response