Non-existant Mercury Switch? 0G584188

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
Well, the manual says there is a mercury switch that needs testing. It is not shown in the wire diagrams. Can not find it on the parts blow up. Certainly can not locate it on the motor.

Merc 1997 175xl Ser. no. 0G584188

Do some of these just not have it?

alldodge

Staff member
Not an OB guy but Mercury in anything has been band for many years. Looked up your S/N at Merc and could not find it listed

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The mercury switch is one of the first things to be disconnected or tossed because the way it's mounted any rough water can cause the motor to stumble. My Merc shows one in wiring diagrams and parts lists. It never had one as far as I can tell.

Trivia question - Is a mercury switch used on Johnson outboard called a johnson switch? :noidea:

jakedaawg

Rear Admiral
The mercury switch is one of the first things to be disconnected or tossed because the way it's mounted any rough water can cause the motor to stumble. My Merc shows one in wiring diagrams and parts lists. It never had one as far as I can tell.

Trivia question - Is a mercury switch used on Johnson outboard called a johnson switch? :noidea:

Kinda figured it may have been deleted. I don't do a ton of mercs anymore. I know we had them on the horn motors, but they ended up upside down eventually. Thanks.

As far as the "Johnson switch" idk, kinda always considered this a family friendly site so I am not gonna crack wise.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Rephrased - Trivia question - Is a mercury switch used on an Evinrude outboard called a evinrude switch?
noidea.gif
LOL