1975 Mercury 50 hp knocking noise coming from flywheel/crank

xupe13ash

Recruit
Hello, first time on this forum. I have a 1975 Mercury 50 hp 2 cycle. Has the timing belt going to the distributor. We where out running it for about an hour and engine starting loosing power and knocking.:eek: We took covers off and ran it and noise seems to be coming from flywheel area or it is resonating through crank. I know this could be as bad as a broken crank or bearing, but is it possible the timing is off. Is it possible that the timing belt slipped a tooth, and would this cause knocking due to firing at the wrong time? I pulled flywheel off and arrow for distributor pulley was pointing approx. 2 teeth past the tdc mark on flywheel. Timing belt is VERY loose and probably has never been replaced(got the motor from somebody else). Also when I rotate the distributor pulley it makes a clicking noise. Belt is cheap and will probably try it, but thinking I have bigger problems. I checked and all cylinders are firing. I also noticed that there is a lot of fine aluminum millings underneath flywheel, but it doesn't look like stator was grinding on the flywheel? Thanks in advance for any advise.

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
The filings are a tell-tale that something is off. Can you wiggle the tip of the crankshaft at all? I had a '76 50hp break a crank right at the top rod journal. Motor would still turn over, but had a noticeable knock.

How does the flex plate for the flywheel look? They have been known to crack and break right near the center hub.
IMG_3263.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3263.jpg
    IMG_3263.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 0

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Hey CW....2 cyl 40's and 4 cyl 50's are bad about this on round bottom boats(whaler style) for some reason...Merc rep told me once it was harmonics from prop and hull....

xupe13ash

Recruit
Flex plate is not cracked. I also checkd the top of the crank and there is no play side to side. I did stick a rod down the cylinders and while I was moving the crank the number one piston doesn't move up and down when I turn the crank a little bit. I am probably just going to pull the power head off and tear into it.