1996 Mercury 90 hp - loss of speed

fathse

Recruit
Hi, I have a 1996 Tracker(Mercury) 90hp 2 stroke outboard on a 24ft pontoon boat. To keep the story short the boat was running 18-22mph before I took it in for a tune up(it was running a little rough). The mechanic said all 3 cylinders had 120psi, but that carbs should be cleaned and wear parts replaced. At the end of the day he replaced spark plugs, cleaned and replaced wear parts in carbs, new impeller, and new lower unit oil ($950). I also replaced gas tank and fuel lines, before I took it in. When I put the boat in the water for the first time, it ran great (smoother than before), but now it only runs 8-12mph. I have been told by a boater behind me the engine reeks of gasoline. Also one day the boat was running out of gas and the boat started to speed up to the 18-22mph mark before it ran out of gas. Took it back to the mechanic telling him the engine was running too rich and to check his adjustment and he said they were fine. I have found out he isn't a trustworthy mechanic so I wanted further advice. Do you think its running rich, if not what could be causing a reduction in speed.

Thanks,

Scott

fathse

Recruit
Does anyone know how to solve the running rich problem? I assume you have to find the "mixing screw" and adjust it. If so, is the normal convention to tighten it until lightly snug, and then back off 1.5 turns and from there adjust it further out if needed. Reason I ask is a lot of people with idle issues use this convention and I am not sure if it applies to my mixing issue as well.

Scott

racerone

Supreme Mariner
And it could be the fuel pump leaking gas straight into the motor.-----Does the primer bulb go hard, yes or no ?---Mixing screws are for idle mixture only.---Do the trouble shooting.---Have spark on all 3 leads ?

wn6ngp

Petty Officer 1st Class
And it could be the fuel pump leaking gas straight into the motor.-----Does the primer bulb go hard, yes or no ?---Mixing screws are for idle mixture only.---Do the trouble shooting.---Have spark on all 3 leads ?
I agree with racerone. Was the fuel pump rebuilt? It is very easy to get the gaskets and diaphrams out of order. It would still run but not properly. If it was not rebuilt you could have a worn diaphram that would let fuel run into the crankcase. High speed jets are fixed as mentioned by others.

fathse

Recruit
So I partially fixed the problem, I had a bad Ignition coil. Replaced that and it runs better, still not 100 percent, but much better. Another issue has arisen. When we took it back the mechanic for him to double check his work, he pinched a few wires between my air intake and carb putting it back together. This caused the wires to burn up and melted my gasket. I have fixed the wires, and replaced the gasket. Boat runs good once you get it started. The issue is now the starter, I turn the key and it makes a clicking noise and then nothing happens, sometimes I can see the gear pop up to try to engage but doesn't. If I turn the key 10-15 times it will eventually start. Once I get it started and let it run for a minute, shut it off, it will start right up again the first time. I have sprayed WD-40 on the shaft and the gear slides up and down easily I have also lightly tapped the starter with a hammer as well. Is this the stator or the starter or something else?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Stator has nothing to do with the starter. I would look at the wires on the solenoid and starter make sure they are clean,or the solenoid itself