1980 Mercury 50 HP 2-Stroke- Surging-- NOW slow!

Bassn7

Seaman
I had a marine mechanic take a look at my motor and symptom...it starts to surge fast and slow when I get to full throttle. He told me he believes the motor needs the floats on the carbs adjusted.

​Sooo...I looked and the floats and they were off. I made them level and set to the Mercury book. NOW the motor runs fine at 7mph at full speed. What is going on now?! Is one carb gloggd up? Will the motor run on two out of 4 cylinders?

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yes- your motor will run on two cylinders. From what you are telling us, it sounds like the carbs could use a good cleaning and rebuild along with the fuel pumps. Give it a compression test first before going too far and report back. There are a number of things to consider doing like fuel lines and tanks and the bulb on the supply hose. Actually all the maintenance items required to keep a motor running smoothly. My motor had all kinds of problems and I finally solved them by staying after them a bit at a time. Right now we are just scratching the surface but there are quite a few people on the site who possess a wealth of knowledge.