1971 Mercury model 110 9.8 HP not producing power

tjdarnell

Recruit
I picked up this motor a few years back and got it to where it would start easily and run well in a tank of water. Drug it to the lake and nothing. Got it back home to find that the insulation on the wires coming from the points had flaked off. This isn't my only boat so I lost interest for a couple years but recently decided to get this thing running. Replaced the wiring as well as the insulators where they attach to the points and she's back up and running. Took it to the lake and under a load it just wasn't developing the horsepower it should. I already knew that one of the cylinders had less than ideal compression so I bit the bullet and replaced the rings. Now both cylinders have right at 90 PSI and the motor starts the first or second crank every time. Drug it to the lake this weekend to test and once again, under load it just isn't developing the horsepower it should. I've cleaned and rebuilt the carburetor as best I could. I say this because I didn't pull the Welch plug because I can't find a replacement, or at least not one that is stated to be for this motor. I had an old Evinrude that acted like this and fixed it by pulling the Welch plug and cleaning the jets behind it but that carb kit included a new plug. Is it possible that this is my problem and I need to try to find a replacement welch plug that will fit or is there something else that I'm missing? I haven't gone into great deal of diagnostics on the electronics since it starts so easy and has spark on both plugs. Could this still be a problem that I'm dismissing too easily?