Remove Carburetor on 1998 Mercury 20HP EH

jzstephens

Recruit
I have removed the Circlip and it says you remove the choke knob by pulling it straight out. This is not working, the knob does not pull all the way out. Secondly it says to remove the two bolts securing the primer bracket to the carburetor. I can't get a wrench or socket to them to remove them unless you are supposed to drop the lower cowl first? It doesn't say you need to but there is no way to reach these bolts. Anyone have experience with this?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Where the primer shaft goes into the primer assembly on the right there is a phillips screw. Back that screw out until the knob comes out there will be 2 pieces. Take the rest of the plastic bits off after you remove the carb from the motor.

jzstephens

Recruit
Great, thank you. That worked for the knob. Any suggestions for removing the Primer bracket? There is not enough room between the lower cowling and those bolts to get a socket to them and they are recessed so I can't get a boxed in or open in wrench to them. It also looks like a tight fit to get to the carb mounting bolt on the lower right. Do I have to remove the starter first?

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If you have an electric starter that must be removed to get the carb off. Once the carb is off you can take the primer assembly off. The assembly actually hooks underneath the float bowl. So taking the carb off is the easiest way to disassemble everything.