Lower unit Pressure test pump- needed

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would like to know where a person could purchase a low pressure pump to test the newly installed seals on a lower unit. Thanks, Mike

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
A bicycle pump works. What you need is to make an adapter to the vent or fill port on the lower unit.

GA_Boater

I've even used one of these in an empty lube bottle while using soapy water. It works.

5503.jpg

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've even used one of these in an empty lube bottle while using soapy water. It works.

5503.jpg

​I just happen to have one of those.....and the empty oil bottle. I will try it and get back to you. I will be taking the lower back off in about two weeks I think we are missing something obvious. Way too much water in the oil.

GA_Boater

Drain the lube, install the adapter with the empty bottle, put the vent screw back in and pump away. You can feel the pressure build and then spray the soapy water looking for bubbles.

Don't forget to spin the driveshaft and prop shaft while spraying and keep the pressure up by pumping more. Also rotate the shift shaft while spraying the water.

Is it the perfect way - No. It isn't good for testing how long the pressure holds, but it will show bad seals.

I'm getting irritated with this motor. Took it out 4 times no problems. Took it out today runs fine for 5inutes or so at full speed and then falls ok it's face and dies. Looking into a brand new 2017 motor i
m sick of fixing it every week.

GA_Boater

I'm getting irritated with this motor. Took it out 4 times no problems. Took it out today runs fine for 5inutes or so at full speed and then falls ok it's face and dies. Looking into a brand new 2017 motor i
m sick of fixing it every week.

Wrong thread? If it's the right thread, it way off topic, Outdoors

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Wrong thread? If it's the right thread, it way off topic, Outdoors

Didn't hurt a bit. I understand his frustration. Maybe he could ship me his lower unit and my frustrations would be over after two years.-Mike

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got the oil pump going today for the soapy water test and could not get any reaction to pumping it into the lower unit. I took the hose off and connected to my air compressor and was able to get sufficient air into the lower to test the prop shaft seal and the seal at the shift shaft. Nothing untoward there. (I could make the shift shaft move up just a hair each time I gave it some air)...........My plan is to submerge the lower unit in water completely and pump air into it and see if any bubbles come out. Any help appreciated.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
UPDATE.....That worked. I got bubbles coming from the lower seal on the water pump. At least I know what to work on again.