1996 Mercury 25 hp screech noise

TMW123

Seaman Apprentice
Hi,
I have recently acquired a 25 hp mercy and it runs good at all rpm ranges except once in a while it will make a loud screech/chirp. Almost like a smoke alarm that's dying but louder. The noise lasts a second and the motor barely sputters and continues to run normally. This happens at idle maybe 3 times I'm out. Is this "lean sneeze" from a gummed up idle circuit or something else? Can the carb be removed and cleaned without adjusting timing after?

Thanks

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
That is usually a bearing in the crank or lower unit. Make a video of when it does that so we can hear it to be sure lean sneezes don't squeal/chirp.

TMW123

Seaman Apprentice
Getting a video will be tough because of how intermittent the issue is, but i will try. I thought it might be a bearing but heres a couple points that made me question that:

1. If it is a bearing why wouldnt the noise be more continuous instead of one, quick chirp and nothing for a long time and no issues at WOT?

2. Would the reed valve cause such a chirp during a misfire/sneeze?

Thanks and I appreciate the help!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
You can look at the reed valves just take the carb off. Is the lower unit full of lube? Has the motor ever been overheated? A video would help

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Is this an electric start motor?
If so, could the starter be trying to engage and making contact with the flywheel?

TMW123

Seaman Apprentice
it is electric start. Is the starter attempting to engage a common problem?

TMW123

Seaman Apprentice
Just an update:
I turned the idle mix screw 1/8 turn rich and the chirp has not returned since.