Need help in identifying my outboard

Jeff Oosse

Cadet
New member here.... I recently bought a smaller boat and am having a hard time identifying the motor. The previous owner says it is a 110 hp mercury motor. I can not determine the year but from the FAQs and searching through posts I think it is a 1976. The S/N falls in that year range but I could be wrong. The S/N is 45925**, I'm hoping it is an actual 110 hp motor and not the model 110, 9.8hp.

We took it out and it would not plane the 16' foot boat. I think it's gunned up from 2 years of sitting after the supposed rebuild. That's another topic for later.

Thanks all, I've learned a ton just by reading the posts here too.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard Jeff Oosse. Always great to welcome a new member...

Some how I would think that if it was a mere 9.8HP engine, you would know it just from the size difference between the 9.8HP and a 110HP engine. One way you can check is to look and see how many spark pugs it has. If it has more then two, it is not a 9.8HP model.

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Hey there. It should be obvious if its a 110 or a 110 (9.8) as one would weigh maybe 50 lbs and the other would be closer to 200+ lbs. Is there a model number? The serial number you have does sync with a 1976 9.8 motor. Like GM said, check and see how many plugs ya got. That will tell you. honestly though, the size alone should tell you your answer. Post a picture and we can definitely give you your answer.

Jeff Oosse

Cadet
I tried to post up the pictures I took with my phone but it's giving me an invalid file, even though it's a .jpg. But anyway, it has 4 sparkplugs and dual carbs on it. It does have the power trim kit and it's pretty hefty, so I would think its one of the bigger motors. I'm thinking the reason its sluggish is because it sat so long. Maybe a tune-up is in order? When we pulled the plugs, 1,3 and 4 were clean but 2 was a tad dirty. Not horrible but dirtier than the rest.
As for it being the 9.8 hp, I had my doubts but with all the little things I've been finding, it wouldn't surprise me. I knew there would be some issues but not knowing the year of the motor makes it difficult to order parts. I honestly believe it is a 1976 110 hp motor though.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
If it is a 4 cylinder probably a 65 or an 85 hp. Anything over 90 hp from Mercury in the 70s would have been an I6 TOP motor you would have 6 plugs not 4. I would put my money on a 85 hp using the serial # also Mercury never made a 110 HP motor.
851977EL4590512 - - UP7091098

Last edited:

Jeff Oosse

Cadet
Hmmmm.... I used the chart in the FAQ section, well, the one that wasn't dead. and it listed a 110hp in 1976 but hey, what do I know? That's why I'm here :) I'm soaking up Oops knowledge on re-decking... But I want to make sure that the motor is correct. BTW, this motor is pushing a 1972 16' Caravelle.
this is the one I used from the sticky ... http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/page/609774 .... down there at the 110hp one, it lists one there... but I see the 850 (85.0) as well.....

Man, I wish I could post these pictures. The odd thing is I was looking at pics for all 3 motors and don't really see anything on my wrap around that denotes it as anything. It just has the blue looking M and no other markings for a model number or anything. It does have a thunderbolt ignition saying on the front cover but that could be a different cover as it has red lettering not blue like the rest of the decals.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Jeff, your pictures may be too large in size to post. Try taking lower resolution shots and see if they will post. I think anything under 700kb will work. JMHO

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Now that you have 3 posts, the newbie photo attaching restriction is lifted.

Click on the Forum Help link in the sig below and look at the tutorial for attaching photos.

Welcome to iboats, Jeff.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I use www.maxrules.com to find all my Mercury serial #s as I have found it to be the best and most comprehensive list. The 110 hp you found is a 2 yr model only and maxrules does not even list it. Your serial # does not even fall in the range for the 110 hp on the list you found.. If that 110 hp was made in 1966/67 could very well have been it would still be a 6 cylinder not 4. They do not list a 110 hp in 1976 what Mercury did with that motor was put 110 decals on a 9.8 hp motor. Mercury in the late 60s and 70s was add a 0 to the hp ratings. A 115 motor would have 1150 decals on it a 150 hp would be called a 1500 a 9.8 hp was called a 110 and so on.

Jeff Oosse

Cadet
No Title

I looked at that chart again... the first number is the model number... lol... but looking at the ranges of serial numbers it could be anywhere from a 70 to a 115.... from all different years... I cropped this one to be able to upload it... I will crop the others a bit to see if they will upload...

Attachments

• photo268850.jpg
    photo268850.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 0

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Put a pic up of the powerhead. The 70 hp in those years was a 3 cylinder anything bigger than 90 was a 6 cylinder. With 4 cylinders the only motor that lines up is an 85 hp.

Last edited:

Jeff Oosse

Cadet
I think you are right... I can't get the pic down to less than 2Mb... Damn note 7 camera... but it does have 4 spark plugs and 2 carbs on it....

Jeff Oosse

Cadet
Hmmmm.... I looked at the maxrules page... I do have powertrim on it but no of the 70's models do not have that option it looks like... i wonder if its a newer motor at this point...

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
They had power t/n/t in those years. You could also have one retrofitted. I do not think your motor is newer than what it is. Put up a pic of the powerhead all sides.

Jeff Oosse

Cadet
I will have to figure out how to drop the resolution on these pictures... they are all 4Mb or bigger... I'll take some more tonight