1975 Mercury 115hp Tower of Power control cable hook-up

charakel

Seaman
Hello all.. I am in need of some help on the control cable connections on the motor. How to mount them? which cable goes where and do you adjust the adjusting barrels? I am not too familiar with this style type of control. Is the lever that says "Lift for cold starts" the throttle control? or is it my cables, shift and throttle?

Attachments

• photo268577.jpg
    photo268577.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 1

psj

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

This is what I use for my 1975 200 20hp. I don't know how similar it is to yours but may get you going in the right direction. Someone here will likely come along that knows considerably more than I do.

The "Lift for cold starts" lever is exactly that - for cold starts. Basically it's a fast idle.

Attachments

• photo268686.jpg
    photo268686.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 1

charakel

Seaman
I figured out the cables. The first cable to move when the control is moved forward is the shift cable, the other is the throttle. NOW my issue is that the 2 cables are binding.. very hard to shift.. I think too long of cables for my setup. I ordered new 14ft ers. I hope that this is the issue.

psj

Seaman Apprentice
Note: If you're trying to shift it without the motor running, it'll shift hard unless your (or someone else) is turning the prop. Just thought I'd mention that. Good luck.

charakel

Seaman
My new cables are coming today.. With the cables off how do you know when the motor is in neutral, reverse and forward? Do you move the shift slider just like the cable does with a screw driver or something? along with moving the prop? Thanks. Also do you set the control to neutral, and attach the cable to the motor once you figure out the motor is in fact in neutral?

charakel

Seaman
I got the new cables installed!! and it works well. I just hope it works the same as on muffs as to in the water... Now to tidy up the wires and mount the control.. Progress.. My old setup the controls were a Chrysler and were mounted vertically.. My new question is now how to mount the control. Any tips?? I am thinking on the gunwall next to the drivers seat??

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Yes, gunwale mount next to driver is the usual place...If the gunwale is curved, you will need some washers to make the control parallel with your arm.