40 hp Mercury Bigfoot outboard won't start, reverse and forward stuck

justjen

Recruit
40 hp Mercury Bigfoot outboard won't start, I can get it into neutral but reverse and forward are stuck unless I manually turn the prop and then I can get them loosened up. I checked the battery and it seems fine. All the lights are working but I can't get the engine to go up or down even when pressing the up/down on the engine itself. What am I missing?

justjen

Recruit
2013 40 hp Mercury Bigfoot outboard won't start, I can get it in neutral but reverse and forward are stuck. I checked the battery and it seems fine, voltage perfect, even trying a different battery. I can't get the trim/tilt to work (sounds weak, won't move) even when operating the switch on the engine itself. What am I missing?

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: aboard justjen...

You say it won't start. But does it turn over or not. And what is the model and serial number of the engine. That always helps with such questions. If the starter spins it and it doesn't fire, that is one thing, but if it doesn't even spin, then that goes to a different issue. So exactly what does or doesn't it do?

justjen

Recruit
Doesn't start and doesn't turn over. The starter clicks kind of like a dead battery click and the trim and tilt tries to work, I can hear it, but will not move the engine. I think it may be a bad ground somewhere. Model number is 1A41453BZ. The starter does not spin. Thanks for any help gm280.

justjen

Recruit
Today I checked and removed the ground from the engine to the battery, cleaned it, inspected it and still nothing.