Replace top crank seal 1986 60 hp merc

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I'm working on another problem that is indicating I may have a top crank shaft seal leaking. I'm considering changing this if it's as easy as I believe?
- remove flywheel + Stator and trigger.
- Pierce the metal on the old seal and pry out/insert screw in holes to pull up.
- Clean, etc. align, lube and press in with a suitable socket or custom made wood mandrel.

I've done many of these types of seal before - I just want to be sure the seal is removable without splitting the crankcase.. Pics or seal seams to indicate a pull out and push in style (i.e. no trapped lip).

Thanks All 1996 60 hp merc.

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Has anyone had a failed top crankcase seal on a similar motor - or change one??

Thanks

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Those seals rarely fail.-----What is your motor doing / not doing ?----What trouble shooting has been done on it ?

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Be careful as this motor doesn't have a upper brg housing... the block is the housing so don't gouge it getting it out.

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will do. I asked the question since the MErc Manual I have shows the seal being installed before the block haves are bolted together. Just want to sure before I pull it that it's not trapped behind a lip and requires the block to be split.