2002 115 2-Stroke Tilt/Trim Issue

GypsyQueen

Recruit
Okay guys, I have a fun one. So to make it quick, my tilt/trim is only working when the motor is hitting high RPMs (>5000, pretty much WOT). It doesn't matter if the engine is in gear or if it is on high-idle. Just has to be kicking high RPMs.
Yes, I have tried the switch on the motor itself. No go.
Yes, I have tried with the motor off and throttle forward. Also no go.

I have tried to chase down any weaknesses in any wires and cannot find any. The plug between the throttle switch and the engine is showing 12V, and obviously the whole system is getting 12V at least under the high RPM scenario. This seems extremely strange to me, and I have been unable to find any similar situations on any other forums.

Any ideas?

Canufixit2

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Do you have two tilt trim relays? On my older merc I had wierd intermittant probs with the trim - even the previous owner had them change the trim pump. I finally found that the way the relays are wired - one can make the other fail due to loop around up/down wiring. If you have the relays I'd spend the few bucks and change BOTH. then re check. JMO (I'm thinking that the high speed rpm vibs shake the relay contacts)

GypsyQueen

Recruit
Yes, there are two relays. Fantastic! In a few weeks of searching as well as posting on other forums this seems to be the first plausible answer Thanks friend!

GypsyQueen

Recruit
Just checking back in. I switched both relays and have had no success. When I press the "trim down" button, you hear one relay click with no movement out of the trim motor. The "trim up" button does nothing. The tilt/trim unit was replaced a few years back so I don't believe it could be the motor. Any ideas?

GypsyQueen

Recruit
Update: on the throttle tilt/trim switch I'm getting a click out of both relays. On the motor tilt/trim switch it is only clicking on the one. There is a significant amount of oil residue in the engine from a probable oil overfill. Any chance these are related? Would a short in the motor mounted switch cause the whole system to fail?

SingleShot

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This may help.

Attachments

• Mercury 125hp service 399.pdf
    8.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Mercury 125hp service 398.pdf
    25.3 KB · Views: 0