25hp Merc only starts w/starter fluid

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
DON'T PUT WIRE IN THE HOLE. On the base of the carb where it bolts to the motor is the exit hole for the primer. Use compressed air to blow through that. I brought visual aids. In pic #2 bottom of the primer you take the bolt,spring and ball out you will see a wee hole. That is the primer outlet to the motor. The fuel travels up the side of the bowl through the hole in pic #1 through the carb body and comes out the hole in pic #3 with the brass fitting. I use spray carb cleaner to clean that hole. Spray the way the fuel flows.

S4010566.JPG S4010567.JPG S4010568.JPG

Last edited:

wolfee

Seaman
DON'T PUT WIRE IN THE HOLE. On the base of the carb where it bolts to the motor is the exit hole for the primer. Use compressed air to blow through that.

Ok thanks, will do. Sorry it took so long to get a grasp on this, I really appreciate your help.

ravioli

Cadet
I'm currently rebuilding my '96 9.9 Mariner carb, so this is all good info. Thanks flyingscott. I think I finally figured out where the small ball bearing (check ball) goes that fell out while disassembling. I've documented with photos how everything else fits back together except the mystery ball.

The plunger contacts the check ball that presses down the spring, is this correct?

1.jpg 2.jpg 3.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg 7.jpg

Last edited:

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I'm currently rebuilding my '96 9.9 Mariner carb, so this is all good info. Thanks flyingscott. I think I finally figured out where the small ball bearing (check ball) goes that fell out while disassembling. I've documented with photos how everything else fits back together except the mystery ball.

The plunger contacts the check ball that presses down the spring, is this correct?

YES

wolfee

Seaman
Hey I'm back...unfortunately. I had the motor running fine this summer and haven't had it out for ~4 months. The first time I pulled the starter cable it tried to start for a few seconds, then choked out. (maybe in the 40 degree range outside) I pulled the plugs and cleaned them with wire brush and sand paper, still won't start. I went and bought two more plugs, still won't start. The plugs are getting gas (they're wet with gas) and I verified they're getting a spark. I emptied the fuel filter and pumped in new gas. I even tried my old tactic of shooting starter fluid in but that didn't work either. What the heck am I looking at here? I don't have a shoulder left from pulling the damn starter cable. I wanted to take the kids out tomorrow since my oldest is home from school but here we go again...any help appreciated.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Hey I'm back...unfortunately. I had the motor running fine this summer and haven't had it out for ~4 months. The first time I pulled the starter cable it tried to start for a few seconds, then choked out. (maybe in the 40 degree range outside) I pulled the plugs and cleaned them with wire brush and sand paper, still won't start. I went and bought two more plugs, still won't start. The plugs are getting gas (they're wet with gas) and I verified they're getting a spark. I emptied the fuel filter and pumped in new gas. I even tried my old tactic of shooting starter fluid in but that didn't work either. What the heck am I looking at here? I don't have a shoulder left from pulling the damn starter cable. I wanted to take the kids out tomorrow since my oldest is home from school but here we go again...any help appreciated.
Did you completely rebuild the carb with all new gaskets. Sounds like it is flooding could be a bad needle valve or stuck float or the primer assembly.

wolfee

Seaman
The primer wasn't working before, now it is. I guess I have to take the carb off again? I don't have gaskets...would have to order them again. I think I can tell if the float is stuck but how would I know if the needle valve is bad? Happy Thanksgiving btw.

I don't think I replaced the gaskets last time. I had to remove it twice within a few days.

wolfee

Seaman
Well I ordered 2 rebuild kits but once I took the carb off, I just don't see anything wrong. The only thing I did was adjust the float setting because it was a little over 1" from the bottom/top of the shaft to the bottom/top of float, however you want to look at it. I left fuel in the carb when I took it off and the primer work fine, I'm getting a spark from both plugs, needle valve looks new (pretty much is) and the carb looks clean. Plugs were wet with fuel so I agree it is probably flooding but not sure what to do. Really annoying.

gordondeese

Recruit
Generally, I am having the same concern with my manual start 2003 25 mercury 2 stroke outboard. After basically installing the 1395-8237072 MERCURY MARINE CARB REPAIR KIT, the motor will not start without a shot of premixed gas into the carb. I have removed the carb (numerous times) and verified that all passages from primer to the face of the carb are clear. However, after reading this post, I am convinced that the brass insert has an orifice in it that allows a shot of gas from the action of the primer into the intake is restricted. See Flyscott's post of June 22nd, 2017, picture #3 for reference. Sadly, I am at an impasse short of carrying it to a local dealer/repair facility and a wait of about 3 weeks. Can Flyscott or anyone else share some insight on this orifice, should it have any opening in it? If so, how big?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Generally, I am having the same concern with my manual start 2003 25 mercury 2 stroke outboard. After basically installing the 1395-8237072 MERCURY MARINE CARB REPAIR KIT, the motor will not start without a shot of premixed gas into the carb. I have removed the carb (numerous times) and verified that all passages from primer to the face of the carb are clear. However, after reading this post, I am convinced that the brass insert has an orifice in it that allows a shot of gas from the action of the primer into the intake is restricted. See Flyscott's post of June 22nd, 2017, picture #3 for reference. Sadly, I am at an impasse short of carrying it to a local dealer/repair facility and a wait of about 3 weeks. Can Flyscott or anyone else share some insight on this orifice, should it have any opening in it? If so, how big?

Please start a new thread of your own. There has been no activity in this one for almost 2 years. A new thread will get you the help you're looking for as old, inactive threads are usually ignored.

Status
Not open for further replies.