'82/'83 Mercury 115 hp Lower Unit Issues

Jason0911

Recruit
I was hoping to get your opinion on the motor of a new project boat that I might be getting. The seller said the motor fires up but "the lower unit doesn't work." I asked for details about what he means "doesn't work." Unfortunately I'm learning as I go (handyman, but no motor expert) and from my conversation with him, it seems he might be less than knowledgeable about motors as well. He began talking about the "prop threads being stripped out but it feels like threads are still on the shaft." The picture of the prop looks like the shaft is still in it.

I added a couple extra pictures (can't attach pics on iboats yet: http://imgur.com/a/yuhsK). Thought they might help in describing an answer to me. I could really use some help understanding how the prop shaft should be attached within the housing. Should it really be able to be out of the housing still attached to the prop? I'm open to opinions as to what might be going on here.

Also, if I'm picking up this project for $900, is it worth what it will cost to get replacement parts? I see a new shaft alone will be a few hundred. Can't wait to hear what everyone thinks. Thanks in advance guys!

Joe-Au

Cadet
Why don't you inspected lower unit housing, should be it broken, I just got the outboard motor same as your photo, cost me $150 AUS including boat and trailer...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
There is a big nut in the gearcase.---Threads are in the gear housing.----If that is the issue then the gearcase may need to be replaced.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Gee, it looks like the prop shaft and bearing carrier pulled out of the gearcase. Either he pulled it out, or hit something real hard, and recovered the pieces. Either way, I would consider the gearcase to be junk, and price accordingly.