Mercury 3.6 HP runs for 5-10 min then quits

jonInMaine

Recruit
I don't have much experience with outboards but have worked on a tractor engine ('49 Ford 8N) so I am somewhat familiar with classic carbureted coil/points ignition engines, before electronics and computers came along and messed everything up.

I recently bought a used boat that came with said motor. Runs for 5-10 min then dies as though it is out of fuel. Won't start right away but if I wait a few minutes it starts then runs 5 - 10 min then dies etc etc.

I first wondered if it could be the gas tank cap not venting but taking the cap off when it stars to die didn't do anything. So I ruled that out.

After the engine quit I tried spraying some starting fluid in to the carb which caused it to kick over but not actually start. I also pulled the plug and verified I was getting a spark. So I have ruled out the ignition system for the time being.

That leaves the fuel system. There does seem to be gas flowing to the carb. I went ahead and ordered a new fuel filter since it is relatively inexpensive and quick to replace. I suppose if it's not that then it's probably the carb. I am somewhat hesitant about doing a carb rebuild especially since parts for this motor (vintage 1980-81) are hard to come by. Would it be worth just trying something like seafoam to see if that would clean things out a bit? Or perhaps just taking the carb off and soaking it in cleaner? I also ordered a shop manual for the merc outboards which hopefully will have instructions on carb rebuild should I need to go that route.

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Jon

tpenfield

Staff member
Taking the gas cap off when the engine starts to die may not be soon enough if the cap is in fact not venting. That engine looks like it is gravity fed fuel system :noidea: or maybe there is a pump as part of the carburetor

A new fuel filter should help. See if it runs better with a full tank vs. a nearly empty tank.