help removing propshaft.

fishhawk90hp

Cadet
Hey guys I am trying to remove my prop shaft to check the clutch dog for wear on the lobes but it seems to be stuck. Any idea what could be holding it inside? the engine is a 2013 merc 40hp 4 stroke .

Attachments

• IMG_5977.jpg
    IMG_5977.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 0

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
It is not an adjust for wear item. Most people just wait till it starts to show symptoms of wear. Service manual shows the prop off and a puller being used to pull the bearing carrier out. Do you have a service manual, or are you just winging it?

merc850

Commander
Did you drain the gearcase and leave the screw out to allow air in?

fishhawk90hp

Cadet
It is not an adjust for wear item. Most people just wait till it starts to show symptoms of wear. Service manual shows the prop off and a puller being used to pull the bearing carrier out. Do you have a service manual, or are you just winging it?

i dont have the manual Jim but the bearing carrier is already seperated from the housing which is what the puller is used for, am not sure why would a puller still be necessary. I think i need to drain the oil & allow air in like Merc said. I cant see the oring holding in like that i mean it slide half way out & just stop.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
I had assumed you had drained the oil prior to attempting disassembly

fishhawk90hp

Cadet
I had assumed you had drained the oil prior to attempting disassembly

no i didnt but am second guessing that oil in the gear case will hold it in like that, if that's the case why allow me to pry it apart from the housing? I have read that i need to drop the lower unit & remove the gear selector rod but why would that be holding it in? it must be the seal on the propshaft that has the bearing carrier stuck on. I will remove the prop then use a puller to pull the carrier off the shaft. if the carrier holding the reverse gear is stuck on the propshaft because of the seal then it must be stuck on the forward gear bearing the same way.

i have figure out why it's needed to drop the lower unit, its because you dont bend the driveshaft & gear selector while using the puller.

fishhawk90hp

Cadet
You really should be using a manual. I don't have enough info as to exactly what model your engine is, but here is a selection that may be of some use to you

http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/library.html

thank you so much Jim. I got the manual it says to use a puller to pull the carrier out & the shaft should come with it. What had me confuse was the fact that it was sliding out just by prying it but stop @ a certain point. maybe how the housing design it narrows towards the prop & the oring is what's making it tight to pull out? anyways i'll let u know how it goes. thanks again

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The housing should not be narrowing. However lots of gearcases that have had impacts can be distorted and the bearing carrier will be impossible to remove without further damage to the case

fishhawk90hp

Cadet
No Title

Thank you so much Jim, i got the puller & the carrier came out with little force but the propshaft is still stuck. I believe the shift rod is holding it so have to remove LU to pull up shift rod. Their is very little wear on the gears & clutch dog. i saw the reason why i was ratcheting when shifting into reverse it's because the lobes on the gear are sloped so if u dont shift quickly it would just slip. I notice the forward gear lobes are alot different their sloped so if the prop will hit something clockwise it will slip out which is a good design by mercury. anyways i'll keep u posted when fully inspect everything.

Attachments

• photo266365.PNG
    photo266365.PNG
    754.4 KB · Views: 0
  • photo266366.PNG
    photo266366.PNG
    724.6 KB · Views: 0

fishhawk90hp

Cadet
No Title

I got the lower unit off but cannot get a wrench to the pinion nut cuz the clutch dog is in the way. Their must be a special tool for this? or I may need to get one welded?

Attachments

• photo266450.PNG
    photo266450.PNG
    794.1 KB · Views: 0

racerone

Supreme Mariner
If the design allows it to " slip when you hit something clockwise " then why are there so many damaged props ?-----Or are you looking / thinking the wrong way on this ??----Note, I am just making you think, trying to steer you away from making assumptions and expensive mistakes.

fishhawk90hp

Cadet
If the design allows it to " slip when you hit something clockwise " then why are there so many damaged props ?-----Or are you looking / thinking the wrong way on this ??----Note, I am just making you think, trying to steer you away from making assumptions and expensive mistakes.

Race this is just how this gear is desing on this particular merc, it's call a helix beveled gear. In the past the cotter pin would of broke or the plastic inside the prop, now this is the new technology. I think it's a great idea to just have the gear slip rather than the broken cotter pin or plastic ring. The only downside is u have to shift swiftly when leaving neutral into reverse other wise the gear will slip & u will hear that ratcheting noise.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Nope----This the way Mercury has built most of their motors since the 1960's-----But sorry , I believe you are working on your first one and just not sure how they work or what you are looking at.