Mercury four stroke 3.5 will not idle

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
I have a 2007 Mercury 3.5 four stroke that starts right up but will not idle. Carb has been totally disassembled and cleaned. Motor starts right up. If i turn in the idle screw in it will race at a high rpm as soon as I back off the screw it idles down and dies not much range either high or super low rpm.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like you didn't get it clean enough, time for a second round of cleaning.

fishon71

Chief Petty Officer
Sounds like you didn't get it clean enough, time for a second round of cleaning.

I thought the same but I really spent the time to get the carb and all its components spotless, wired all the jets, soaked and blew it out, but it certainly seems the carb is still dirty the way it acts. I just didn't know if there might be some other common issue this little motors have to keep them from idling, thanks

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
The low speed circuit is the normal issue on the these small 4 strokes, and it can be tough to clean correctly. Did you remove the low speed adjustment screw and clean that area, it may be hidden behind a brass plug that needs to be removed.