2006 15hp outboard Mercury smoking.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
Hello everyone, i have a 2006 15hp mercury outboard that is smoking and i wanted to get some feedback.
I bought this outboard about 2 years ago and it ran fine, 0 issues.. Took it out once since i bought it and had no problems then either.
It has since been sitting outside attached to my boat, i live in southern California so i did not think winterizing was necessary.
Before I started it up yesterday in a 32 gallon trash bucket i chsnged the engine oil as wekk as the lower unit oil. I ised a can because i could not locate the intake to put muffs on. Wheb i started it up i noticed it was smoking a bit from the prop and that the water instantly turned grey / black. With some kind of soot in it.
Im pretty sure it was not oil because it didnt float and pool on top like oil normally would.

Things I've done so far.
Re checked engine oil/lower unit oil. Everything looked good.
Replaced spark plugs (old ones were a bit black but did not seem oily)
Replaced old gasoline with new gas, with some seafoam in it.
Checked fuel filter (didnt want to pull it off but doesn't look dirty -correct me if i need to pull it off the lines.)
Inspected head gasket - did not appear to have a leak

After doing all this i started it up again, this time long enoigh to push the choke back in. When the choke was pushed in, i did notice a small reduction in the amount of smoke present (not sure if I'm still seeing the seafoam)
And i also am not sure if any more soot was deposited into the bin i am using.
I have attached a video, as well as an image.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Looks more like steam than smoke to me, it disappears before it gets above the motor. And depending on how much you add, Seafoam will also increase the visible white smoke. Take it out and run it.

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the reply! At first itvdid travel about 20 ft.
Also does anyone know what that small light is for next to. The pull start? I planned by it at the end of my video

smidge112

Seaman Apprentice
So i did some research and found that i should check my thernostat. So i pulled it out and it definitely looks like it should be replaced.
I used mercury's part catalog to look up the part number which. Is 855676003
It seems this part is discontinued and very hard to find.any suggestions?
https://imgur.com/EQ7tnM1