1994 Mercury Tracker - No reverse after changing Impeller and Lower Gear Oil

khunter570

Recruit
I just made my first attempt to change the impeller on a 1994 Mercury Tracker. Everything seamed like it was all good until I tested it buy selecting through the forward/neutral/reverse. The boat goes into forward and neutral fine, but will not engage reverse. I dropped the lower and attempted to manually access reverse, but it seams like the gearbox has two forward gears in stead of the reverse. I also changed the gear oil, but it was more like adding gear oil because when I drained the old oil, I only had some water drain out. Any help is appreciated. It has been a few days trying to figure this out.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
This is about the 99th time this has been asked this year.------I assume you took it off the first time in nuetral and the lower jumped into forward while you were not looking.----Previous page to this at the very top is the tutorial on what to do.---And no there is a forward gear and a reverse gear with nuetral in between.

khunter570

Recruit
I am thinking that I have a different issue altigether. Although it sports to work in forward when I have it started out of ghee water but I can actually pull up on the prop while it is in forward and the prop will not spin. But when I jet go of the prop out drops into the hearing and spins. I cannot engage reverse even with the lower in a of the engine. Thinking Bach to last year the engine would rev while in forward seemingly like it had a slipping clutch. Could there be an underlying issue in the gearbox?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I doubt that the clutch dog and forward gear can slip on a Mercury !-----------Prop itself maybe.----------And have you gone through the tutorial ?

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
I just made my first attempt to change the impeller on a 1994 Mercury Tracker. Everything seamed like it was all good until I tested it buy selecting through the forward/neutral/reverse. The boat goes into forward and neutral fine, but will not engage reverse. I dropped the lower and attempted to manually access reverse, but it seams like the gearbox has two forward gears in stead of the reverse. I also changed the gear oil, but it was more like adding gear oil because when I drained the old oil, I only had some water drain out. Any help is appreciated. It has been a few days trying to figure this out.

seam to me that is a sure sign of a real problem perhaps seal, bearings and gears

khunter570

Recruit
I doubt that the clutch dog and forward gear can slip on a Mercury !-----------Prop itself maybe.----------And have you gone through the tutorial ?

No, I have not gone through a tutorial. It is a new prop do I think that is good. I will try to find the tutorial to see where things might have gone wrong. Thanks for your input.