1977 Mercury 1150 was running now won't start

Lentine95

Seaman
Hey all, new to the Mercury outboards. Have played with a few Johnsons/Evinrudes before so kind of have an idea how to work on older outboards. However, just ran into a problem where my new to me Mercury 1150 won't start.

Got the motor for free on the back of a boat I purchased, so when I got home I decided to check it out and start it. I just need to tape up some wires that were bare, just to try to get it started. The motor started up perfectly fine and stayed running so I decided to get a water pump and impeller and change that out. Finally got the lower unit back up today and tried to start it and all I get is solenoid clicking and it wont fire. Also, I noticed the wire going from the solenoid to the starter smokes a little when I turn the key.

It rained a little last night and I didn't have to cover on so I think some of the wires got wet and because of the shotty wiring it's not wanting to start, and it's probably not grounding. Was wondering if anyone had any other input as to what could be a problem before I go and buy a wiring harness just so I get rid of all of this shotty wiring.

Attachments

• photo265887.jpg
    photo265887.jpg
    52.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265888.jpg
    photo265888.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265889.jpg
    photo265889.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265890.jpg
    photo265890.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo265891.jpg
    photo265891.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 0

CaptnKingfisher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds to me like you already have your problem figured out. Clean up and replace those shot ty wires and let us know what happens. If your selenoid is clicking but your starter won't turn then either your starter isn't properly grounded, your hot wire from selenoid to starter could be shorting out on the block or having a bad connection or your starter may need to be rebuilt. Start with the easy things first

Lentine95

Seaman
Think my starter went which seems odd since seemed to work just fine before. Tried jumping the starter to just work backwards and it wouldn't even try to engage. So I removed it and tried again but this time off the motor and still nothing. I noticed the bolt that's on the bottom of the starter is really loose and free moving. Thinking this is probably my problem, but still plan to replace the "wiring harness" in it now for an OEM one.

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
Those wiring harnesses are available many places on the web. Starters are avail as aftermarket. Try ARCO for one.