1994 Mercury Mariner 15HP

SW_Boater

Cadet
Found a 1994 Mercury Mariner 15 hp outboard motor for sale. It appears to be in excellent cosmetic condition and was only used 4 or 5 times before the owner passed away (estate sale). Very little lower end or prop wear (OEM prop). Hasn't been run in 10 years so I'm assuming the carb needs to be removed and cleaned.

What kind of general reputation does this particular motor have? Easy to get parts? Ease of maintenance?

Thanks!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
They are good motors with ok lower units. The lower unit is the weak area on those motors, don't hit anything and change the lower unit lube twice a year. Parts availability is still good, decent factory support. Mercury still sells Brand new lower units for those motors.

SW_Boater

Cadet
They are good motors with ok lower units. The lower unit is the weak area on those motors, don't hit anything and change the lower unit lube twice a year. Parts availability is still good, decent factory support. Mercury still sells Brand new lower units for those motors.
Thanks for the reply. This is good to know.

Before purchase, my plan was to check compression, verify spark, and maybe a quick look at the lower end gear oil to make sure there's no obvious metal contaminants. Someone on another forum said (in addition to a carb rebuild) I should be prepared to replace the (water pump??) impeller.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
i have a 96 i run as my main motor on a limited hp lake and i have used it for 7 years and around 75 plus hours a years and other than a few minor issues its ran very fine and so far no problems with parts, how ever i know the day is coming when parts will start to dry up so on some of the small bits and pieces i order 2 or 3 at a time