2005 60HP EFI Idle Issue

jschilling

Recruit
I have an issue only at idle, anything over 1000 rpm the engine runs great. I have had this problem from the day I bought it used as a repo. Hot or cold, engine stalls after 20-30 secs of running as if it is out of gas, I can immediately start it back up and it runs strong but dies again 20-30 seconds later. Dealer could not find anything wrong with it. I have cleaned injectors, VST, changed gas, plugs, fuel line, fuel filter, low pressure fuel pump, IAC, and battery. Fuel pressure is a constant 40psi and ball is hard. Only thing I notice is that the fuel filter bowl is not always completely full. This issue always happens in no wake zone and has been going on for 8 years, I have just dealt with it as a minor nuance but I would like to get it fixed. No other issues running at all, just idle. I am fully aware of the vapor lock issue after running hard on a hot day and I deal with that also but I have learned to minimize that. Anyone have any ideas what to check next, I am at a loss. Thanks.

sutor623

Rear Admiral
I have the same motor and was having issues with a rough idle intermittently, and was irritated about that. I had 60psi at the fuel rail. I ended up cleaning the fuel system and my regulator was clogged. Once I fixed that it seems to be good to go. I have read many times that the issue you have is likely caused by a bad IAC, but you changed it. If I were you I would change out the coolant temperature sensor and see if that fixes it. They are cheap and really easy to get to. (Screwed into the block right behind the oil filter.) It is another cause for bad idling properties on these motors. There is also an air intake temp sensor (that is the same sensor but has a longer wire) that may also be the culprit.

Sylva-Ranger

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have the same motor, and last year it begin stall many time at idle and i find that the engin stay cold because the thermostat was stuck open ................but it do it more when the engine was cold so i don't think is the same for you .

Did your dealer plug the engine on a computer to read codes ?

​Me to i notice that the filter bowl is not always full, but when i loose it a little bit during engine running, and retinght after is full i'ts stay full after that .