2001 Mercury 4 stroke 115 Idle Air Issue

Hpracer

Cadet
I just completed a repair to the VST to clean the screen on the high pressure fuel pump and when the job was completed the motor would not start. The only difference between the way that I found the motor before doing the job, and after, was that I connected what was previously a loose connector at the top of the motor above the Idle Air Control unit. When I disconnected this connector the motor started right up. I have not put the boat in the water yet, but my memory from last year is that the motor idled a little fast, which the manual says is what happens if that connector is not connected, It does not mention that the motor will not start.

​The background on this issue is that a marina did the VST job the last time it was done, and they could have, and probably did leave the connector loose. For someone familiar with the motor there is two sets of connectors up on that portion of the motor with what looks like a little intermediate cable with the same connector ends, so the line coming from the top of the motor can be connected directly to the Idle Air Controller, or can go though this intermediate cable. I tried it both ways but the motor would not start either way.

​Does anyone know what might be going on here? If the Idle Air Control unit is bad, will the motor not start? I can live with the high idle, but is there something else that I need to think about as a consequence of that unit not working? Your thoughts would be appreciated..

Hpracer

Cadet
Really guys? Four views, two of them mine, and no responses? Where are the Merc experts?

​The question is, if the Idle air control is bad will the engine not start?