Optimax Fuel Rail Removal - Questions

dmanmtl

Seaman
I am getting ready to change the thermostats on my 2005 150 Opti and have read all the instructions out there.

It seems pretty clear that there is no way to squeeze these out without backing off the fuel rail.

This actually makes me a little nervous - these things look pretty complex....in fact the whole engine does (compared to my previous Mercruiser 3.0).

I assume the only two bolts holding these on are the two I have marked in Blue. Can someone tell me what happens with these blue connectors that I have circled in red - do they just pull off?

Thanks in advance!
D

Attachments

• photo265630.jpg
    photo265630.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 1

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Oh I don't know, the more I look at this Optimax of mine the less complex it really seems to be...just hope I never have to replace any of the pricy-looking parts!

Do the blue things look like they may be made of plastic, maybe Teflon (coated)? Could they be injector seals? Or part of the injector body itself?

FSM for my 1.5L Optimax says to: Use a flat tip screwdriver to ensure the direct injectors remain in the cylinder head while removing the fuel rail.

(drawing then shows a hand wedging the screwdriver against the top of an injector, I assume in preparation to pull the rail off the injector...I guess one-by-one? Top to bottom or vice-versa? Three screwdrivers at once? Just another little fail in this crappy Mercury FSM that I've so far found MANY errors and missed steps in.../rant off)

Because: NOTE: The direct injectors should remain in the cylinder head if they are not to be replaced. The direct injectors have a teflon
seal which may expand when the direct injector is removed from the head. This expansion may cause reinstallation difficulty

or require the replacement of the seal.

(I assume these are a bit like Teflon seals in a transmission)

Last edited:

tlh 178

Petty Officer 3rd Class
i have an 2002 135 optimax and the thermos sit above the fuel rail. its a 5 min job on my opti! why would merc change the location.