What does this usually indicate?

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Okay, obviously it's a leak, it's just that I don't know the 1st thing about outboard motors and thought before I "blindly"tear it apart that I would ask a few questions 1st. You know...."measure twice cut once" kind of thing. Anyway, although I have never worked on an outboard I have been working on my own truck and cars for 30 years so I am not new to tools etc. I just need a good starting point. Don't know how much info. you need on the motor but I hope it's not much because I don't know much about it. I believe it's a 96', It's a Mercury, 8HP 2 Stroke and that's about all I know. With my lack of knowledge I'm guessing water is getting in somewhere it shouldn't and that's why the milky looking color. Probably means a bad seal or what have you but I'd like some expert input please. Thanks very much in advance.

Attachments

• photo265629.jpg
    photo265629.jpg
    214.3 KB · Views: 0

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
It means nothing other than you probably weren't running at high RPMs.

Normal oil and water mix from the exhaust running out. Some oils do it more than others.

tpenfield

Staff member
Spent 2-cycle oil discharge from the exhaust. That is what 2-stroke engines do. No need to open the tool box.

merc850

Commander
It looks to me like LU oil that has leaked past the driveshaft seal and pumped thru the water passages - check your lower unit for grease and water.

tpenfield

Staff member
It looks to me like LU oil that has leaked past the driveshaft seal and pumped thru the water passages - check your lower unit for grease and water.

Could be, just never seen oil in that concentration make it through the cooling system.

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Wow, really? Nothing wrong. Ok I won't argue but it has never done this in the 4 years that I've had it. Thanks for the input.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
As I said, some oils do it more than others, Pennzoil tends to do it more than others I've used, some don't do it at all.

​The cooling water mixes with the unburned oil and fuel, plus the other crude in the exhaust, this gooey mix will cling the inside of the exhaust housing, sometimes it runs out while you're on the water, and other times it does it later after a day or so in the garage. As the water evaporates out it will leave the oil, which will be much darker, almost black.

​If the motor runs cool, or you're running at low speeds it's more likely to happen.

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Does it smell like gear lube (sulfery) or like exhaust?

To be honest I never smelled it. My gut tells me that it is gear lube. On the other hand the one lake I go to 99% of the time has a no wake rule so I am ALWAYS running at low RPM's for what it's worth.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Thats not normal regardless how fast or sliw you go or for hiw long. It appears to be gear lube contamination for reasons previously described.

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok...looks like it's time to tear that lower end unit apart and take a look see.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Don't tear it apart check it first.

It could possibly be gear oil, but not a good chance of it.

Just pull the gear oil plug out and look at it, if it's milky you have leaking seal, if its low you have a seal Leaking out and not in

Olias

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Ok, wiil do! I'll let you guys know what I find.