Oil change

Mr angler

Recruit
Hello everybody, i just bought a 1968 mowah with a 1967 650 mercury outboard. I tried to change oil, but no oil came up. I am trying to find out which plug is filler hole, and which plug is vent hole can anyone help. Im new to the boat world, any help is much appreciated. Thsnks mr. Angler

Mr angler

Recruit
I just wanted to verify that, the holes are port side, and theres only 2 holes vent, and filler holes. Could it be clogged. Also its been seating for 3 years

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I would suggest you go to U tube and try to view as many videos about old Mercury motors of your vintage as you can stand. I would recommend a pump designed specifically for that purpose as any other method I've tried is messy. If you decide to try and start the motor before changing the water pump impeller don't run it for more than a few seconds. Throw all the old gas away and use fresh non ethanol unleaded gasoline/with sea foam. That is a start.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Make sure you understand the concept of filling from the bottom till oil comes out the vent.-----------Very easy job and mistakes have been made.--------Those mistakes can be expensive.

merc850

Commander
The hole at the bottom is the fill hole and the one above it is the vent, you fill from the bottom up then install the vent screw, remove the oil fill device and put in the fill screw. If no oil comes out the LU is dry and don't run it until it's filled.

Mr angler

Recruit
Thanks fellas for the input, i will put it to use. My reason for asking is that. I have the the 2 holes on port side, but only 1 bottom hole in starboard side. It confused me a little. Thanks for the direction

Mr angler

Recruit
Thanks fellas, for all ur help. Everything went successfull. New pump, new seals, new cables. The motor crunk up strong.

My next question is, what would be a good propeller pitch for my setup. I have a 16 foot runabout with a 650 mercury outboard. Any suggestions will help.
Thanks again

merc850

Commander
The only way to really prop a boat is with a tach, buy an alternator driven one and attach the sender terminal to one of the YELLOW terminals on the rectifier.
The max. rpm range is 4800-5200 with a usual load in the boat I would buy a prop that lets you hit 5200.