Trigger assembly and flywheel removal question (2000 Mercury 200hp)

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Hello again everyone. I am almost done re-rigging my boat with the new-to-me 2000 Merc 200hp motor I purchased. The last thing (I hope) holding me back is the trigger assembly. The wires for the plug end of the assembly are shot, so I'll need to pull the flywheel and replace the trigger assembly. Here are my questions:

1. Do I need to mark the flywheel or anything before I start the removal process to ensure it lines up correctly after? Or will that not matter for re installation purposes? I don't want to screw up the timing or anything else. I know I hold the flywheel and remove the one nut, then use the puller to pop the flywheel off, but does it matter if the flywheel turns a bit when trying to get the first nut off?

2. I have the merc flywheel removal tool, so that shouldn't be a problem, but once the flywheel comes off, how do I remove the trigger assembly? Do I need to pull the stator first? Anything I should pay attention to or look out for when trying to remove the trigger assembly and/or when I go to install the new one?

Many thanks as always!

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks Dukedog. So I don't see anything about marking the flywheel or being sure it goes on the same place it comes off...I am missing anything? This might be a stupid question, but will I have to set timing after replacing the trigger assembly? Thanks again.

Dukedog

Captain
flywheel won't go on but one way... woodruff key.. i'm not that well versed in later model 3.0 'lectrics to say 'bout timing.. i do know tha '02 has tha "crank position sensor" added that plays a part with that... i do know that anytime tha trigger is replaced on anything else tha timing issue has ta be addressed.. that should be covered in that manual.............

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks again Dukedog! It actually went pretty smoothly, which isn't always the case with my boats. Now need to check the timing. When I set maximum timing adjustment, is that the @ cranking speed adjustment in the manual--24 BTDC or the @ WOT RPM adjustment--18 BTDC?

Dukedog

Captain
i'm tryin' ta figure out why i thought it's a 3.0 motor?.. don't think they built a 3.0 200 in 2000 except a dfi maybe??.. like said, have very little ta do with 3.0's and/or dfi's of any kind........

Dukedog

Captain
no woodruff key then but still will only go on one way.. no crank position sensor either... wot timin' set at crankin' (24*) with all plugs removed but make sure all are grounded if left in tha boots.. if not ground tha plug wires to prevent any damage to tha 'lectronics..........

jan: for whatever reason some motors will not spin up continuously with ALL plugs removed.. starter will disengage at a given rpm or motor starts.. if it does drop out early you can install plugs one at a time till it stays engaged long enough ta get tha timin' thing done..........

Last edited:

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah, the flywheel only went on one way. So I pull all plugs, except the #1 plug? Or is that pulled too and just grounded for the test light? Can I just ground the plugs with some wire from the plugs to the motor, or do I need to buy the plug test/ground adapters? Then crank it and set the maximum adjustment screw to 24*?

Dukedog

Captain
see edited post.. added a coupla things... ground 'em way thats easiest for you. i'm kinda ole school and use a three way spliced # 8 wire with large alligator clips on tha ends.. ty rap three plugs together on either side.. one clip on each bundle, end clip to battery ground... can also see spark quality while crankin'....

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Alright. Thanks! Do I leave the number 1 plug in, or is that out too?

Dukedog

Captain
out ta start with.. but if starter drops out to early like i describe, it can be first one put back in..
idle timin' set in tha water, in gear ta whatever makes both you and tha motor happy.............

Last edited:

ThomW

Chief Petty Officer
Great. Thanks again Dukedog. Is that what is meant when it says that engine may retard when it approaches max rpms?

Dukedog

Captain
kinda.. it has an ecm (engine control module), not to be mistaken for ecu, that pretty much controls all tha 'lectronics on that motor.....