1996 Mercury 150 no oil?

dan9812

Cadet
My 2 stroke mercury 150 seems to not be running 100%. I took it in because the warning light was beeping and the water pump seemed to not be pumping. They replaced the water pump and other stuff, 2k later I hit the water and the warning light isn't beeping but it's staying on and not running at top speed. They diagnosed it as the plastic gear that controls the oil flow as being bad. But seeing as the fixed the boat and as soon as I hit the water it wasn't correct I'm not taking there word for it. I don't know anywhere here in SE Michigan I can take it and not get ripped off. But anyway to my question. Can I just mix the oil myself and not worry about the gear? Thanks for any help

Dukedog

Captain
steady, non interrupted beep or beep, beep, beep, beep?.. if has a light also it should do same as buzzer, stay on or blink...... it won;t run very long with oilier not workin'... like in minutes.

dan9812

Cadet
I can't remember if it was beeping or not. I may take it to the lake and see what it does. And I don't know much about these things so when you say disconnect the oiler where would I do that at?

dan9812

Cadet
Now that I think about it was not beeping. I just took off from the dock and noticed the red over heat light was like steady blinking fast and boat was a little sluggish so I took it back in.

Texasmark

Supreme Mariner
Blinking is oil, solid is heat. You can premix while you are figuring things out. Premix is 1 pt. of oil to 6 gallons of gas. To know if you are getting oil, figure your oil in your tank and your gallons consumed. If it's running about what I said at mostly running high rpms, not idling or trolling (ratio is much lower....80:1 per my SM), then your pump is working. If you use Pennzoil semi syn, WM sells it in the SG section, you don't have to worry about too much oil smoking things up or add Sea Foam to the fuel mix and it will keep things cleaned up....directions on the can, available at most auto parts stores.

On your results after the shop worked on your engine, what was it doing, running like before you took it in, in addition to the info you supplied above?

racerone

Supreme Mariner
You need to do a compression test on it before launching the boat again !!

dan9812

Cadet
My dad took my boat out and the water pump wasn't pumping. The red light was on, I believe it was solid. We thought it might have burned it up but the shop we took it to said it was fine, they replaced some square boxes with wires coming out of them and the water pump, maybe couple other things. But it wasn't wanting to run right on top end, which it never did before, almost like it would get to top speed then start losing fuel for a sec then try to pick back up. I'm gonna take it to the dock after a compression check and adding oil to fuel