115hp tower of power missing section?

Whistler123

Cadet
Looking at the fuel lines in and the castings it appears the top one is missing. I'm new to this but it just seems out of place?

Whistler123

Cadet
Basically symptoms are poor starts, bogging down and dying at a certain point in throttle and leaking fuel when trimmed up.

although I hit 50kmph today on the 16 foot ski boat it feels like something is not right as after I shutter down to relax and struggled from there.

CamaroMan

Petty Officer 1st Class
those carbs look old and that fuel looks like varnish - a rebuild or even just clean up wd be a good start. Install a new see through filter (automotive is fine) before the carbs/after pump and replace ALL fuel lines after the filter - write down the idle mix screw turns down for each carb, and write down the jets in each carb, some mercs had richer jets at the top carbs to overcome gravity / fuel delivery -

Go from there.

Your first question and post title bears no info - "missing section?" - what does that even mean. Plus you are in the stern drive forum and your motor is an outboard.

Fuel leaking when trimmed up is a sign of leaking floats/needles - sometimes its ok if there is unspent fuel in there, but streaming out is bad. happened on my merc 60 too, sometimes draining the float bowls and letting fuel run out will clear the little sucker that keeping the float open, but this is AFTER youve done the carb clean/rebuild -

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Ok, that's a 'TIGER' block. Very old, in the 60s...
Fuel leaking from the carbs when trimmed up is actually quite normal, they all do it.
With any run quality engine problems I always like to start assuming nothing.
Very first thing I would do is a compression test. Check you have clean spark plugs and they are the right ones. Some of those engines used surface gap plugs, some used conventional electrode gap.
Then with the engine running, pull each spark lead off in turn. You should notice a rev drop about the same for each cylinder. Any that don't drop tells you where to start looking.
Fuel lines and filters.
DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES USE PLASTIC AUTOMOTIVE FUEL FILTERS! You're asking for an explosion. There's a VERY good reason they are banned by USGC.
A water seperating fuel filter, spin-on cartridge type, should be installed in the line between any built-in tank and the engine, and make sure the fuel lines are a MINIMUM 3/8". If you use remote tanks, ensure they are clean each time before filling with fuel... And use the right quantity of good quality 2-cycle oil. 50:1 is the right mix. I have had engines that refuse to run on certain brands of oil... The best I've found (as much as I hate admitting it) is Mercs' own brand, Quicksilver TC-W3.

With an engine that old, I'd look at checking the fuel lines thoroughly, and pulling the carbs and cleaning them out too... And putting a new set of diaphragms in the pumps.

Chris.......

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
The 1150 wasn't made until 1970. A serial number would be nice info to have

merc850

Commander
I can see the red coil from the late 60's early 70's Tbolt ignition so I'm assuming that era; there are only 2 fuel pumps on this motor. I also see that the bleed hoses which should run from the bottom bearing to the middle and top have been replaced and re-routed - hoses normally go from A to a T fitting at B and C and C goes to the other end of fitting; It's also possible that B goes down to the lower bearing (I hope B is not plumbed into the fuel line). Where was this motor stored, in an acid tank?
pos-115.jpg

Whistler123

Cadet
The serial number is 6526328.

Probably just pay for professional help as I am clueless. But thanks anyway.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Just some creative rerouting of the oil recirculation system, Seems to occur frequently on 'recently acquired' old engines

achris

More fish than mountain goat
The serial number is 6526328.

Probably just pay for professional help as I am clueless. But thanks anyway.

That serial number is 1984. That engine is most definitely not 1984. Suspect the swivel bracket (which the serial number plate is on) has been swapped. Not uncommon, as the early swivel brackets have a nasty habit of cracking/breaking....

Chris.......

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
To put the put a post 83 transom bracket on to a pre 84 engine is quite a bit of work. I'm not saying it can't be done but it time consuming

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
To answer the initial question, no, it's not missing a fuel pump. It ran two plumbed into each other. The third boss was left there due to initial concerns when they designed the motor, but in production it wasn't needed. The boss remained as it likely cost more to redo the tooling than to just leave it alone. You'll likely note that the fastener holes aren't machined for threads and the pressure holes don't go through into the crankcase.