Head first into the deep end. 1984 Mercury 60hp - First boat

briwi

Recruit
So, I got a killer deal on a boat and a motor. The only thing is that it had been sitting for a year - a young guy like me can handle that...right? Sort of.

Got her running fine! Needed some new plugs, a new fuel filter and she was purring away. She doesn't exactly run...clean. Definitely running a bit rich so I need to tune up the carbs, being at 7,500ft above sea level doesn't help much. Now, the guy who I bought it from said that he had his mechanic clean the carbs, but when I prime the engine there is some fuel leakage out of what seems like the bowl. Do I need to rebuild the carbs?

Onto the other issue. I drained the gearbox oil, and there was water in it...damn. Should I pop the whole damn gearbox assembly off, or just try and replace the oil seals on the prop shaft? This is where I feel the work is above my pay grade and I should just hand it off to a mechanic. That being said, I'd love to get her going myself, but not spend a fortune on tools that I will never really use in the future.

Last but not least, does anyone know where I can find a manual for this outboard?

Thank's for checking the post out and glad to be apart of the community!

briwi

Recruit
Bonus video. Really made it for the naysayers at the shop I work at.

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You can purchase a Seloc manual for your motor among others, from I=Boats. 1406 is the part number. I have no personal experience with the Seloc as I purchased an old Mercury manual for my 1977. Hopefully someone with more experience with the Selocs can push you in the right direction. BTW, how does your tell tale stream flow. Probably time for a new impeller. You may as well have it or have it done since you are needing to replace seals Imperative that these get replaced every few years. Also, never start your motor out of water or not on muffs as it will eat your impeller and it takes little time overheated to destroy a motor.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Buy the Mercury "service manual" -- not an operators manual for your specific model motor. Generic manuals are just that -- generic and have questionable procedures in some cases.

briwi

Recruit
You can purchase a Seloc manual for your motor among others, from I=Boats. 1406 is the part number. I have no personal experience with the Seloc as I purchased an old Mercury manual for my 1977. Hopefully someone with more experience with the Selocs can push you in the right direction. BTW, how does your tell tale stream flow. Probably time for a new impeller. You may as well have it or have it done since you are needing to replace seals Imperative that these get replaced every few years. Also, never start your motor out of water or not on muffs as it will eat your impeller and it takes little time overheated to destroy a motor.

Tell tale stream actually wasn't bad. The water up here is cold, so it took a little bit for the thermostat to open and run. Yeah if I'm going to get into the meat of her, then I'll just rehaul it all! Also, she was in water, it's hard to tell at that angle, but both intakes were covered with water and had a hose circulating fresh water as well. A little bit redneck, but all of my buddies have their earmuffs on their boats on the water right now for some reason ha.

Alumarine

Captain
How much water was in the gearbox?
You could drain it, fill it with synthetic 75W90 and see how long it takes for water to get in it.
One of my boats has had an ounce or so of water in it every year for the last 25 when I change it in the fall.