1988 45 hp Mercury leaking water through bottom of cowl

Paul W

Recruit
Hi, I'm trying to determine the source of a water leak that seems to be coming from the area near the exhaust manifold. I sprayed some fogging oil into carb and saw no evidence of an exhaust leak from that area and nothing that indicates any water in the cylinders. Engine pumps water well and runs good otherwise. I also checked to make sure it wasn't coming from the water jacket around the plugs. The temperature of the water leaking from cowl is about the same as the water coming out of the "pee hole". Any thoughts or ideas? Thanks

Mercurylips

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You might try to get a look at the discharge tube that connects to a small rubber hose that runs out to the tell tale nozzle. Very hard to see on mine but it is 10 yrs older than yours.

Paul W

Recruit
Hi, I already pulled off the back support plate that covers the area where the discharge tube is and found no leaks there. The water is dripping just under the exhaust manifold and there is no sign of a water leak above that point. But there does not seem to be an exhaust leak - at least anything I can detect using fogging oil.