Mercury 2004 Fourstroke EFI 115--What is this?

Cabalist

Cadet
I am having trouble getting my 2004 Mercury Fourstroke EFI 115 HP to start. It will turn over (and over and over) but it won't start/'catch.'

-I emptied the fuel (it had been stored out of the water on a lift for 4 years) and put in new high octane fuel.
-I replaced the part of the fuel line that was the 'bad' gray fuel line. And yes, it was indeed delaminating, badly.
-I replaced the starter battery.
-Here is link to a similar motor with the 'filter' in question in the bottom right-hand corner of the photo:

http://continuouswave.com/whaler/reference/images/merc90FourStroke2004.jpg

I also added Lucas fuel treatment with the new gas.

I also took off the cowl. What is the little, translucent, white-ish filter-looking thing on the rear, port-side of the motor (bottom right in the photo)? Some sort of fuel filter?

Should I replace the entire fuel line and bulb?
Have the injectors cleaned?

Thanks all!

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Yes, that is a fuel filter.

You do have your man overboard switch lanyard connected right?

Have you checked for spark?

What is the history of this motor? Did you own it before it was stored and did it run?

Cabalist

Cadet
OK, it LOOKED like some sort of fuel filter and the fuel line appeared to run to it... Cool. Is it supposed to look like it has 3 colored stripes? (the photo I linked to is NOT my motor but it showed what I needed--that little filter--and it sort of shows the stripes too, sort of)

History:

The Mercury Fourstroke EFI 115 HP was purchased new with the boat in 2004 and has hung silently in the boathouse, out of the water, on a lift, under a boat cover, ever since. It has, maybe, 10 hours on it as the owner was not well. I inherited it from the owner a couple of years ago. Before I inherited it it was stored with Stabil in the gas and probably started about every 3 months fairly religiously, but for about the last 4 years it has not been attended to until now. It (the boat) has been detailed 3-4 times in those 10+ years and it looks like part of the fuel line had been replaced but not the whole thing as there was still about 20" of 'bad' gray fuel line that I just replaced connected directly to the bulb. It still hangs in its boathouse on its lift.

Regarding what has been done:

-'Man overboard' switch is on with a lanyard in it.
-Checked for spark? No I have not. I spoke to someone at Mercury who suggested using a 'spark board' to test it. I went to Autozone, O'Reilly, and Bass Pro Shops (ugh) and nobody knew what a spark board was. What would be the best way for me to test for spark--wouldn't it be great if it was that?!
-Should I go ahead and replace the filter?

Thanks much!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You can use something like this or one of the single spark testers like they have on Amazon.
http://bpi.ebasicpower.com/shop/inde...24a085a031be0d

If you don't have an OEM manual yet, you should definitely buy one. You can find them on eBay.

You have two pumps, one is electric and one is manual. There is additional filter for the VST and electric fuel pump in there as well. I don't have my manual or motor in front of me so can't help you more. My 90Hp is basically the same engine that you have, I replace all 3 of the fuel filters on mine annually.

Last edited:

Cabalist

Cadet
OK then...I will look at the local places to see if I can get one this weekend. Otherwise I will place an order and use it when it comes in. Thanks for that and I will post an update as soon as I test it!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
OK then...I will look at the local places to see if I can get one this weekend. Otherwise I will place an order and use it when it comes in. Thanks for that and I will post an update as soon as I test it!
Do a search on VST clogging. If the spark checks out, it would be one of the first things I would likely look at.

Cabalist

Cadet
I got the SERVICE manual for the Yamaha F115 online (free pdf). Looking at it it looks JUST like my powerhead...and the Mercury customer support confirmed that the 2004 powerhead was made by Yamaha and sold by Mercury. Would that service manual be OK do you think re working on this part of the motor? It almost seems like it would be better...I have read people saying, "take it to a Yamaha mechanic because it is really a Yamaha and the Merc techs don't know what to do with it." After seeing the Yamaha manual it looks like they might be right.

I say this because I can't find the Merc manual online via pdf and I would rather not buy it if it is the same as the Yamaha when it comes to the powerhead. Do you know what I mean?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I know the power head is Yamaha. For example, I have a Rinda scanner and it uses the Yamaha plug. There may be some subtle differences and that is why I bought the Merc manual especially for the rest of the outboard.

Cabalist

Cadet
Would you mind telling me which Rinda scanner you have :)

I was also looking at getting a Racor (or other manufacturer) 10 micron filter (the one with the clear bulb on the bottom) once I get it running again. Do you happen to use one?

I am going to Napa today to see about that sparkboard, otherwise it is 'order one tonight' for delivery sometime next week. ;)

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have the older Techmate. If I would but again, I would get the Diacom software to run on a laptop.

Mercury suggests against using an external filter for some reason.

Cabalist

Cadet
Alright...how do I get the Spark Plug Cap Cover off? The bottom screw-on bit seems to be caught on the fuel line going into the fuel pump. I have unscrewed all of the screws, and it is totally loose and off, but I can't get it out of the way enough to test #s 3&4 (and testing 1&2 was tight, let me tell you what).

Thanks, folks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Was easy on mine. Manual likely says how to do it and I can look at it when I get home. Likely different on the Merc than Yamaha.

Cabalist

Cadet
OK then...I got it off but my tester will not clip onto the spark plugs securely...heading to get some clips...

The last person to work on it (I think) ran the fuel line UNDER the bottom 'foot' of the cover. Getting it out, without taking the outside of the bottom of the motor off, was a...challenge. When I put it back I will put it back correctly.

Wow, those Rinda scanners/readers are not inexpensive. Not being a professional, ie not going to earn anything by using/renting this out, would it be worth it to look at buying one? And for the price the Diacom looks the most competitive--certainly it does more. \

Thanks

Cabalist

Cadet
OH, and the line that ran UNDER the spark plug cap cover was a smaller gray fuel line with a red stripe...do you think that is the same 'bad' line with the delaminating interior coating?