1995 Two stroke Mercury tiller 25 HP Electric start dead

Lison

Recruit
Hi folks. 'Can't figure this thing out. I bought this motor yesterday and it started in the previous owners driveway several times but other times, didn't want to fire. I thought he just didn't have it in neutral. Got it home and the electric start is dead. I jumped the solenoid and it fires right up. I proceeded to disconnect the solenoid and tested it and it "clicked" and had continuity. I disconnected each of the switches; start button on the tiller, stop button on the tiller, the tether on/off switch, and the neutral switch and each one tests great. I have no voltage coming out of the starter side of the solenoid when pushing the starter button. 12.5 volts on the battery side. I don't know what the little black junction box is above the solenoid. Do they go bad? Thanks so much for any help. -Luther
Sorry, tried to upload a photo but got an "unauthorized" message.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
Check for 12 volts on the small terminals of the solenoid with the starter button depressed. Is the neutral safety switch lined up correctly?

Lison

Recruit
Went back and cleaned all terminals, esp. both ends of battery terminals and everything working. Geeze. :-(